DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon FS-72U filters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/84967-canon-fs-72u-filters.html)

Cal Bickford January 28th, 2007 12:55 AM

Canon FS-72U filters

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the canon FS-72U filter set ($114). I could find little information on the canon site or elsewhere. Basically its a set of three filters, an ND8, polarizing, and UV filter. Is the quality of the glass suitable for the A1, do they have anti-flare coating? Does anyone have any recomendations for higher quality filters w/ 72mm threads? Do you guys think these are up to par with canons pro L series glass? They advertise them as accessories to the A1 on their site but don't really give any information about them.

Ben Hayflick April 23rd, 2007 08:39 PM

Can anyone comment on these FS-72U filters?

And btw, B&H currently has this for $49.

Mike Gorski April 23rd, 2007 10:11 PM

I was looking into filters for the XH-A1 and came across those. I was curious to know how well they worked.

Rene Roslev April 23rd, 2007 11:38 PM

Canon doesn't make the filters themselves. They are cheap filters with a Canon sticker on the box. Easy money from people who don't know better.

I suggest buying multicoated Hoya/B+W.

I'm unsure about the rules on this forum (linking non-sponsor sites) and don't want to mess up on my first post... -but there is a certain reputable Hong Kong based website that sells B+W and Hoya at very reasonable prices. For example a B+W 72mm MRC UV 010 Filter NEW F-PRO Multi-Coated Alloy is just $36. Multicoated, brass ring, easy to clean etc.

Robert Garvey April 24th, 2007 02:46 AM

There seems to be a lot of choice out there when it comes to filters. I purchased the new Hoya Pro1 Digital filters for my XH_A1. They are marked 'digital multicoated', supposedly 'designed exclusively for digital cameras' - & hence cost more. Importantly they are low profile and I found that I could use a polarizer over the top of the UV filter with no vignetting at wide. Normally you would have to remove the UV to use the PL, which can be a bit tricky in the field.

Mark Fry April 24th, 2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Garvey (Post 666254)
There seems to be a lot of choice out there when it comes to filters. I purchased the new Hoya Pro1 Digital filters for my XH_A1. They are marked 'digital multicoated', supposedly 'designed exclusively for digital cameras' - & hence cost more. Importantly they are low profile and I found that I could use a polarizer over the top of the UV filter with no vignetting at wide. Normally you would have to remove the UV to use the PL, which can be a bit tricky in the field.

I've been using the Hoya Pro1 UV filter for a month or so. It appears to work well. No noticable degradation of image sharpness, a small improvement in clarity on hazy days, and some protection for the "proper" lens, which was my main reason for getting it.

David W. Jones April 24th, 2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene Roslev (Post 666212)
Canon doesn't make the filters themselves. They are cheap filters with a Canon sticker on the box. Easy money from people who don't know better.

If I remember correctly, they are made by Tiffen for Canon.

Alex Leith April 24th, 2007 01:40 PM

They're actually pretty good. No degradation of the image as far as I can see. I've had considerably worse filters from some of the more well-known names!

Rene Roslev April 24th, 2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 666515)
If I remember correctly, they are made by Tiffen for Canon.

Correct.

Is this reason enough not to use them?
More in-depth comparison

A standard Tiffen UV let's approximately 92-94% light pass through, a Hoya HMC 97%, and Hoya S-HMC 99.7%.
Add flaring, ghosting and lower contrast.
The A1 is fitted with some pretty nice glass. No point in degrading it to save $15.