Canon FS-72U filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon FS-72U filters

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the canon FS-72U filter set ($114). I could find little information on the canon site or elsewhere. Basically its a set of three filters, an ND8, polarizing, and UV filter. Is the quality of the glass suitable for the A1, do they have anti-flare coating? Does anyone have any recomendations for higher quality filters w/ 72mm threads? Do you guys think these are up to par with canons pro L series glass? They advertise them as accessories to the A1 on their site but don't really give any information about them.
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Can anyone comment on these FS-72U filters?

And btw, B&H currently has this for $49.
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was looking into filters for the XH-A1 and came across those. I was curious to know how well they worked.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Canon doesn't make the filters themselves. They are cheap filters with a Canon sticker on the box. Easy money from people who don't know better.

I suggest buying multicoated Hoya/B+W.

I'm unsure about the rules on this forum (linking non-sponsor sites) and don't want to mess up on my first post... -but there is a certain reputable Hong Kong based website that sells B+W and Hoya at very reasonable prices. For example a B+W 72mm MRC UV 010 Filter NEW F-PRO Multi-Coated Alloy is just $36. Multicoated, brass ring, easy to clean etc.
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There seems to be a lot of choice out there when it comes to filters. I purchased the new Hoya Pro1 Digital filters for my XH_A1. They are marked 'digital multicoated', supposedly 'designed exclusively for digital cameras' - & hence cost more. Importantly they are low profile and I found that I could use a polarizer over the top of the UV filter with no vignetting at wide. Normally you would have to remove the UV to use the PL, which can be a bit tricky in the field.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Garvey View Post
There seems to be a lot of choice out there when it comes to filters. I purchased the new Hoya Pro1 Digital filters for my XH_A1. They are marked 'digital multicoated', supposedly 'designed exclusively for digital cameras' - & hence cost more. Importantly they are low profile and I found that I could use a polarizer over the top of the UV filter with no vignetting at wide. Normally you would have to remove the UV to use the PL, which can be a bit tricky in the field.
I've been using the Hoya Pro1 UV filter for a month or so. It appears to work well. No noticable degradation of image sharpness, a small improvement in clarity on hazy days, and some protection for the "proper" lens, which was my main reason for getting it.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Roslev View Post
Canon doesn't make the filters themselves. They are cheap filters with a Canon sticker on the box. Easy money from people who don't know better.

If I remember correctly, they are made by Tiffen for Canon.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #8
Major Player

They're actually pretty good. No degradation of the image as far as I can see. I've had considerably worse filters from some of the more well-known names!
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
If I remember correctly, they are made by Tiffen for Canon.
Correct.

Is this reason enough not to use them?
More in-depth comparison

A standard Tiffen UV let's approximately 92-94% light pass through, a Hoya HMC 97%, and Hoya S-HMC 99.7%.
Add flaring, ghosting and lower contrast.
The A1 is fitted with some pretty nice glass. No point in degrading it to save $15.
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders