DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   LCD Screen Shade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/85085-lcd-screen-shade.html)

Gareth Trezise January 29th, 2007 09:34 AM

LCD Screen Shade

Can anyone recommend one that fits well? I've tried a bellows type of screen shade that attaches with a velcro strip. However, this is placed right in the middle, just where the A1 LCD goes into it's funny shape so it ends up not fitting tight unless you fit it slightly off centre but then you dont see all the screen.

Gareth

Graham Bernard January 30th, 2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Trezise
However, this is placed right in the middle, just where the A1 LCD goes into it's funny shape so it ends up not fitting tight unless you fit it slightly off centre but then you dont see all the screen.

Gareth

Gareth, I saw this issue coming up from the outset. I don't own the camera, but would dearly love to. Oh yes! And yes, interesting to hear how other users have clobbered this one.

Philip Williams January 30th, 2007 05:49 AM

I've got this and it works pretty well:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

A couple of bucks cheaper without the glass:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The design only uses one strap across the back of the LCD housing, so the non-standard shape on the left of the housing doesn't interact with the device at all.

I wouldn't jump out of a plane with it, but it fits fairly snuggly (did I just say "snuggly"?).

Gareth Trezise January 30th, 2007 06:15 AM

LCD Screen Shade for XH-A1

Hi Philip,

So the velcro strap goes accross the back of the LCD? Any photos I can find of this Hoodman suggests it goes down the middle of the screenshade.

Great if it does go accross the back. Could you post a picture of your setup please?

Gareth

Philip Williams January 30th, 2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Trezise
Hi Philip,

So the velcro strap goes accross the back of the LCD? Any photos I can find of this Hoodman suggests it goes down the middle of the screenshade.

Great if it does go accross the back. Could you post a picture of your setup please?

Gareth

I don't have a picture of my rig but I could probably whip something up tomorrow night if it would help.

In the meantime, check out the second B&H link I provided. That's got a pretty good image of how it works. Its literally a square hood that sits on the LCD frame and has a single strap that gets stretched over the backside of the LCD housing. It looks like it wouldn't hold very well with just the one strap, but its not too bad. You can definitely move the camera around and not have to worry about it.

Gareth Trezise January 30th, 2007 06:48 AM

With the one you have got you can see the whole LCD screen? No gaps for light to get through? Not wonky? Sounds good.

Yes please, look forward to seeing some pictures. Much appreciated.

Gareth

Graham Bernard January 30th, 2007 12:24 PM

OK, I've got one for my XM2. BUT, the lens, which gives it rigidity, also gives me internal reflections. which if used where there is lots of bouncing light, is very distracting.

Gareth Trezise January 30th, 2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
OK, I've got one for my XM2. BUT, the lens, which gives it rigidity, also gives me internal reflections. which if used where there is lots of bouncing light, is very distracting.

Yeah, the lens thing woudn't interest me much. I just want something that will tightly fit the weird shape of the A1 LCD and enable you still to see all of it. Looking forward to seeing Philip's pictures. If it works I shall buy one.

Gareth

Richard Adams January 30th, 2007 03:44 PM

Philip, do you find the lense useful at all?

Philip Williams January 30th, 2007 08:51 PM

I'm not sure about the lens yet, haven't used it for any real shooting yet.

I'd recommend maybe searching the forum or hitting one of the more general video forums here and asking for feedback. I'm sure there's got to be some users at dvinfo that have used a hoodman with and without the lens.

Harold Schreiber January 30th, 2007 10:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Gareth,

I've made my own LCD Hoods for each of my 4 Cams and my 4 LCD Monitors too.

Even have one made with the Magnifier Lens.

Some plastic from a VHS Hard case or stiff thin cardboard, Duct Tape, glue or silicone, Flat black paint, and some Velcro - Wa-La DIY LCD Hood.

Here is a sample of one of them.

Harold

Philip Williams January 31st, 2007 06:03 AM

That's pretty slick Harold.

But what's this "VHS" thing you're talking about? :)

Harold Schreiber January 31st, 2007 12:14 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hi Philip,

I've got a ton of VHS/SVHS Hard Plastic type cases and some softer black opaque plastic Covers. These plastic types are pliable enough to be used for many uses.

Here's a couple of Lens Hoods I've made for my Sony 950. Have made one for each of my other 3 cams too, a long with the LCD Hoods.

Harold

Philip Williams January 31st, 2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber
Hi Philip,

I've got a ton of VHS/SVHS Hard Plastic type cases and some softer black opaque plastic Covers. These plastic types are pliable enough to be used for many uses.

Here's a couple of Lens Hoods I've made for my Sony 950. Have made one for each of my other 3 cams too, a long with the LCD Hoods.

Harold

Hey, the TRV900! A real classic.

Anyway, those hoods look pretty functional. And here I thought there was no more use for VHS :)

Harold Schreiber January 31st, 2007 05:11 PM

Hi Philip,

Hey, that's a 950, I got to the store late.

And yes, everything I've created has been very usefull.

Harold

PS: Go find my other posts to read about and see some of my other creations.