Stupid Question (What casette?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stupid Question (What casette?)

Hi all, sorry for this question. Someone else asked it before but I didn't pay any attention at the time.

Just wondering... Does the A1 use standard miniDV tapes? I know it comes with an HDV tape, but do I have to film everything on those casettes? Or do you only use the HDV tapes for shooting HD. I'm only planning on shooting with SD at the moment (camera arrives soon) so are standard miniDV tapes fine?

And, (assuming I do use miniDV) what are the best tapes to buy in terms of brand? I read panasonic were good (because of lubing or something)...

Cheers,

Giles
Giles Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Please see the many many threads and posts in the "Long Black Line" forum.

Start here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84130

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82565

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80404

Mike
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #3
New Boot

HDV vs. SD tapes

The only reference I have found to a "difference' between HDV tapes and SD is about "quality control."
If anyone here knows different, please correct me.

I have used Panasonic "Master" Quality, AY_DVM63MQ, tapes in my DVX-100 for almost 4 years. I have used 100s of these tapes with NO problems. They use a "dry" lube and I chose them because of the dry dusty conditions in AZ. I assumed I would have less gunk build-up in the drive mechanism. I have only ran a cleaning tape 3 times in 4 years and NOT because I had a head problem but just because I got nervous and couldn't believe the head was still clean after so much use.
I plan to use the same tapes in my new XH-A1.
The last box of 50 I bought came from a dealer on Amazon for $5.45 each.

Once you pick a brand you like, stick with it because different manufacturers use different lube compounds and they are not chemically compatible (i.e. will create gunk on your heads).
Edward Randolph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders