A1 low light compared to vx2000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 low light compared to vx2000?

I currently own a VX2000 that I use to shoot weddings, and I am wanting to move to HDV for personal and wedding use. I know that the VX2000 is one of the best low light performers but was curious about how the A1 would compare to it.

Thanks.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Probably 1.5 to 2 stops slower, based on reports, but I have no video evidence to support it. I would, however, like to see some video or stills.

The A1 does pretty well for HD, and you can put your shutter to 24 to gain 1.25 stops versus a 1/60 shutter, with more blur-but still very usuable.

I have been relatively impressed with the A1's lowlight performance, and can only guess that it will get better in the next generation.

I created a color profile that gives me about 1/2 of a stop (estimate) with only minor loss in resolution and black compression. I use it for low light stuff and it helps to clean up the dark footage, not much, but very helpful when in need.

I would suggest for you to stay with your VX2000, for the time being or get a VX2100 or pd170 (a little better in lowlight) because weddings require as much light as possible, the extra rez, probably wont help you with the added grain, unless you will shoot in 24p with a 1/24th shutter, you can increase the sensitivity if the a1.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders