Pre Purchase Jitters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pre Purchase Jitters

Yes I know this topic has been done to death. My problem is that I really like
the A1 but the firmware problem capturing to FCP seems a lil fishy is there anyway to take a consensus who has had this problem?is it only when batch capturing ???? The V1u seems like the next best choice but I hate the fact that it uses DV and not mini dv. So what do you guys think is this firmware problem going to be a issue or will it be resolved shortly ???
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinista
V1u seems like the next best choice but I hate the fact that it uses DV and not mini dv.
What does this mean ??? Aren't DV and Mini DV tape the same thing ???
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

DV is a format. "Mini DV" refers only to the size of the cassette shell. At any rate, the original poster is obviously confused... there is of course absolutely no difference between the Canon XH A1 and the Sony HVR-V1U with regard to the tapes they use.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

For what it's worth, I use FCP and don't batch capture, I just load the entire tape from start to finish. Despite the 50/50 problems with FCP and the A1, I still ordered my A1 (should be here this week, actually).

I really don't think its going to be an issue, but you can bet on it I'll be posting here as soon as it doesn't work :)

The DV tapes are the bigger ones used in the larger cameras (like the Sony 450 I believe), and the MiniDV are the normal ones you find in all the comsumer and prosumer cams.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Contributor

All of the 1/3" chip cameras, whether DV or HDV, use miniDV tapes, with the exception of the DSR250, which will take full size cassettes as well as minis.

Chris, (Chris No. 1--notice there are 3 Chris's in a row here?) I had a problem at first with FCP recognizing the camera, but it was operator error. Once I got FCP configured properly, there's been no problem for me in capturing.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i ment small vrs mini

im sorry for my error what I was refering to was the small dv vrs the mini dv the small is about 7 or 8 dollars more a tape compared to the mini
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

You have to understand that both cameras (Canon A1 and Sony V1) take only the Mini DV cassettes. There's no difference between them in this regard.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders