Proud New Owner of an A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Proud New Owner of an A1

Well guys, I picked it up this morning and all I have to say is WOW, at first I was freaking out about the graininess of the stock footage but I only have one thing to say "I ACTUALLY LOVE IT" its not your regular dv grain.

What happened to our tittles, I used to be a mayor player "Chris?", I thought I had gotten out of the whole thing last year when I sold my FX1 and my Z1, but could not resist the A1 when I saw it and the footage out here, any hints, tricks would be great. Guess I need to update my FCP from 5.0 to 5.1 anyone?

I am capturing with DVHSCAP and using MPEGSTREAMCLIP to convert for the moment.

One pet peeve though AF its driving me insane, I normally pull fosus by hand but not for your everyday kid recording thing.

Anyone here doing "Thelot" by any chance? I mean with this CAM "www.thelot.com"

Glad to be back.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Welcome back!

Yeah, you better update your FCP to the latest version. I did too and it was smooth sailing from there.

Like you said, it is a nice lovely grain :D

Enjoy the cam, it is a great one. I am constantly tweaking the CPs and discover new settings each day!

Cheers
Arthur
Arthur Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Major Player

A1

Hey Tomas,

I bought an A1 from B&H a few weeks ago. I love it but the manual focus was not working so I had to send it in for exchange. I am waiting for them to process my exchange and get a new one to me. I have Canon's Console software for Windows and it is an awesome application for camera setup and recording directly to disk. Too bad you're using a Mac, it won't work on the mac.

This camera is a big step up from the FX1 I sold you a couple years ago.

Hope your family is well.

John
John Inman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey John, great to hear from you again, this thing it's definetly amazing I even tested the HV10 and that cam comes either at par with the FX1 or even better but that's just me.

I've heard about the console software, family is doing great, hope you guys are doing great as well.

I hope you get yours back soon so we can share tips.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Congrats on the camera Tomas. Its a superb tool.

What kind of stuff do you do? I might be looking for another A1 owner to help out on an Atlanta wedding/reception in Sep.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
Congrats on the camera Tomas. Its a superb tool.

What kind of stuff do you do? I might be looking for another A1 owner to help out on an Atlanta wedding/reception in Sep.

Sure thing, let me know.

Mostly music videos, kids sports and right now trying to get something together with a couple of friends for "Thelot.com" competition.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders