XH A1 vs. FX7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1 vs. FX7

hello kind flolk of DVinfo.
I was wondering if you would be able to help me out, I am planning on making the switch to HD soon and wanted to hear your opinions of the A1 and if at all possible the contrast with Sony's FX7. Any info would be useful. Thanks a lot guys.

Alex B.
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I got this from the Camcorderinfo review on the Sony FX7. I hope this will help.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

If the Sony HDR-FX7 personifies prosumer HDV, with its slim, unimposing profile and crowd-pleasing color rendition, the Canon XH A1 demands to be taken seriously. For $500 more than the FX7, it is a camcorder with a professional feature set so robust as to place it in another league. With two progressive modes, 24F and 30F, XLR inputs as well as unbalanced mic compatibility, many more external manual controls, and a staggering set of fine picture controls, the XH A1 is tough to beat.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Major Player

The Fx7 has almost nothing on the A1 (A bigger screen, and longer focal length) That is all that I can think off hand, the A1 is in a different league.

You may want to consider the HV10, if the FX7 interests you. The HV10 packs a mean punch for the price, but is a consumer cam, with a dash of pro features.

I sat A1 all the way.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey thanks for your help guys, you def. justified spending the extra $600 on the A1 thats for sure. Oh BTW how are the night capabilities of the A1 (I havvent seen footage or anything). And off hand would you know if the century optics .3x fisheye that fits the 72mm mount on the xl series would work on the A1? Thanks again for your help.

Alex B.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Major Player

The XH A1 is pretty good at night. Some of the early footage posted by Kaku back in Oct or so was night footage and it looked really good, I think it might still be available for download in the sample footage area.

The important thing is to turn off auto gain and take over manually. If you leave on the auto gain, its quite aggressive and you'll have some pretty grainy footage.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Having owned the HVR-V1E and now own the XH-A1.

I couldn't recommend the XH-A1 more. The Canon HDV encoder provides a very artefact free image compared with quite a lot of ringing from the Sony. This is the biggest plus for the Canon.

Ergonomically the Sony is better even though the Canon has a lot of external switches. Sony really do know how people use compact cameras. Canon could learn a bit from the V1 especially the large LCD, peaking and zebra etc etc. The Canon is perfectly usable but there is definitely room for improvement.

Big pluses for the Canon include its wide angle lens as standard. I don't think I'll need a further wide angle adaptor for the cam which you might do if you buy the FX7.

Both cameras produce superb images for the price but it is a tough choice.

If someone had told you'd be able to buy a camera of the XH-A1's quality 3 years ago I'd have laughed at them.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Alex,
It really does depend on what you want to do and how you are used to working. I've been through it recently (and agonised in public in this thread), and though I've ended up with the Canon, on a different day I might have plumped for the FX7. After all, the price difference could buy you a new tripod or microphone! There's a thread in the more general HD aquisition thread comparing the XH-A1 and V1U in some detail. My best advice is to get your hands on both, preferably at the same time, and see which you prefer.

HTH & good luck.
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey thanks everyone for your help and insight on this issue. My only remaining question is if the .3x century optics 72mm lens (designed for the Xl1) would work on the A1, or do you need an "HD" lens (IDK if there is a difference, or if it is all just made the same, glass, positioning... all that). So if anyone knows, that would be a big help. Thanks again guys.

Alex B.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders