Problem with downconverting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1
New Boot

Problem with downconverting

I just shot some clips in HDV (50i) and wanted to downconvert them to SD in camera. I set the Playback Standard option to HDV and HD Downconvert option to ON. When i connected the firewire cable these options became greyed out and when I opened premiere pro 1.5.1 project (i used DV widescreen template) my camera returned the message PLAYBACK STD LOCKED INCOMPATIBLE VIDEO INPUT which according to the manual means that i attempted to input video signal in a standard different from that set. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance
Kuba Majewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The menu option choices such as Playback Standard, etc. need to be made before connecting via FireWire.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris but thats exactly what I did. Made the choices and than connected the firewire cable.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM   #4
New Boot

Ok so i figured it out. I can capture the DV footage using the camera's downconvert option with no problem. The message shows up later when I close the capture window and click in the timeline window which is completely understandable as video signal then is different from the playback standard set in camera.
However I have one more probably silly question. When I played back the captured DV files in Windows Media Player I noticed in the properties that the aspect ratio of the file is 4:3 actual, 16:9 displayed. Is this correct?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

im subscirbing cause im going to be doing the same thing once i get my camera
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Majewski
the aspect ratio of the file is 4:3 actual, 16:9 displayed. Is this correct?
Yes, it's correct. DV is a 4:3 format so the 16:9 image is squeezed into that making it anamorphic. The footage is tagged as widescreen, and is played at 16:9 instead of 4:3.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Tom
Kuba Majewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders