3 days into it, my list of questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3 days into it, my list of questions

1) How does MPEG Streamclip work? Do I render out a copy of my FCP edit as a full-res mov, then have streamclip do the sizing for web? What else do people use streamclip for? What's the best way to compress for large sized web downloads?

2) AF vs/ Instant AF -- haven't used either much, but which is preferred? I see there's a focus sensitivity/speed setting. Any comments/recommendations?

3) The camera goes off after a certain period of time. What's the easiest way to restart it? Scroll wheel off and then back on? What settings am I losing and need to reset after it turns itself off like that?

4) Custom Keys -- what are people using these for? What have you customized in there that you find you need most?

5) How do I play out of the camera to an HDTV? How do I play from my A1 into an SD monitor -- is it possible? (Yes, I know it's not the preferred way, but for framing and focus issues, a large broadcast monitor can do wonders.)

6) Following #5 above, can you use an SD monitor for location work? Or only HD/Laptop?

7) I read discussions of "square pixels." I know there's an issue there when taking shots into photoshop or elsewhere, but can someone give me the short of the long of that subject?

8) A-1 shoots 1080 x 1920, right? Then why are the files in FCP all 1080 x 1440? How does that work?

9) I am looking to get the Decklink HD Extreme. How much more disk space will I use up in other formats vs. HDV? If I'm uprezzing SD to mix into a largely HDV show, is there also advantages to uprezzing into DVCPRO HD versus HDV?

Many thanks!
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Major Player

A lot of these questions are covered in the manual but I'll answer a few:

2) AF vs/ Instant AF
Instant AF uses external sensor + TTL and is faster, but cannot be used when accessories are attached (Matte box, wide angle adaptor), in which case use standard TTL AF.

3) The camera goes off after a certain period of time?
You can disable the auto-power off - see page 79 of the users guide 'using the customized functions

4) Custom Keys - what are people using these for?
Whatever you want. Personally I find Zebras the most essential. My other one toggles between colour and B/W display.

5) How do I play out of the camera to an HDTV?
Use the component out cable (included)
How do I play from my A1 into an SD monitor?
Use the composite AV cable (included) or preferably a BNC cable (not included) from the BNC out port

6) Following #5 above, can you use an SD monitor for location work?
yes, as above

8) A-1 shoots 1080 x 1920, right?
No, it shoots 1080 x 1440, which is the HDV spec. Don't worry, DVCproHD (1080x1280) and HDCam (1080x1440) also stretch the recorded pixels to create an anamorphic 16:9 shape.

9) How much more disk space will I use up in other formats vs. HDV?
DVCproHD = 4 times more HDCam = about 5 times more. These formats have more latitude for colour correction.

I think I answered all these right, but feel free to correct me if there are any errors.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks very much, Josh, very helpful. On this one --

5) How do I play from my A1 into an SD monitor?
Use the composite AV cable (included) or preferably a BNC cable (not included) from the BNC out port

No BNC out on the A1, presume you meant G1? My monitors only have BNC input (or S video) along with RCA audio. Can I get some sort of RCA to BNC adapter to get the RGB signal in there using the supplied cable, you think? Is there such an adapter?

Thanks again.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Major Player

You will find the BNC out jack under the round cover on the upper right toward the back of your A1. It is not in the same place as the other output jacks. You will not find a SD monitor to be adequate for judging focus on your A1
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Bill. There it is. But what am I doing wrong? I connected the BNC cable to there and into the back of the monitor. Nothing. To test the cable, I took my JVC and plugged it in and it shows through the monitor, no problem.

I guess there's some setting in the camera I need to change in order for it to play through the monitor?? Can't figure it out though, have tried different "Comp out" and DV out, etc. Any pointers here?
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Use the little switch near the AV output socket - it will activate the BNC!
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

DVinfo is a great place. Thanks, Piotr.
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Be warned, the SD out from the BNC is quite soft...

Also, you can leave auto-power off turned on and simply turn the toggle near the record button (by your thumb) to lock, then back to standby. Dont lose any settings.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders