SD 4:3 results and advice for shooting/capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #1
New Boot

SD 4:3 results and advice for shooting/capture

Ok, I may get some heat for asking this. Apart from shorts i also shoot skateboarding but have so far been dissapointed with the SD 4:3 results. I really do not have time to down convert and crop the footage especially with the ammount of footage you shoot for skating. I have heard such good reviews about the A1's SD capabilities but so far havnt seen them. Does anyone have any setting recommendations or set up advice for me. maybe some help getting the vx series' colors if possible to help match up with other peoples footage. Thanks in advance.
Jacob Mothersbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=85894
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla
that didn't really answer any of my questions..
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mothersbaugh
that didn't really answer any of my questions..
I don't really shoot in SD, I have no reason for it, but I thought by reading that you'll understand my question, why SD?

If worst comes to worst you can downconvert in camera while capturing in the same amount of time.
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5
New Boot

but i can't and don't want to sit there and crop all of the footage to 4:3. and I am just so far unhappy with the SD footage i have shot and even the HD footage that I down converted in camera doesnt please me. the A1's HD is great i just need help getting better 4:3 SD. I mean apart from skateboarding, really I have no reason to shoot SD but for skating, 4:3 is important. I just seem to end up with consumer single chip looking footage.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mothersbaugh
but i can't and don't want to sit there and crop all of the footage to 4:3. and I am just so far unhappy with the SD footage i have shot and even the HD footage that I down converted in camera doesnt please me. the A1's HD is great i just need help getting better 4:3 SD. I mean apart from skateboarding, really I have no reason to shoot SD but for skating, 4:3 is important. I just seem to end up with consumer single chip looking footage.
As I posted earlier, I use preset 18 in camera from the preset library here, and in FCP 5.1.2 I use a standard ntsc firewire easy setup.

Can you post all the cam and fcp settings you are using, and also be more speicfic about what the problems you are having with the footage are?

It should look spectacular, so send along some more info and let's see if we can figure it out.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders