No limiter, limiting, limited. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

No limiter, limiting, limited.

So what's the answer for recording a wide dynamic range on the A1? Say an airshow where the levels can go from interview speech to, OH! good gravy!, at the drop of a hat.

Looking back through the forum I couldn't find any solutions, has anyone added a small mixer to their A1? Those twin gain controls seem hard to adjust on the fly.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Major Player

The missing limiter was/is a big disappointment for me, too. Looks like Canon simply FORGOT about it. Let us hope that our wishlist might convince Canon that it is silly not to provide a limiter for a top audio cam like the A1.

I never adjust the gain control on the fly, and I never use a mixer. I always use the same (quite low) manual level (fourth dot) to prevent most clipping, but this sure is not the ideal way to go.
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Michael, yes I can't understand it either, poor design, cost factor, panic, whatever it's a sorry mistake and always makes one wonder what else is amiss.

There's a thread here which says to balance the gain strucure at input, and it seems there may be soft limiting, but the book says nothing about it.

What was Canon thinking, can there be that much miss communication in the planning dept? Well they would know about it now, wonder if an A1B will catch up.

For our use the only solution may be a mono shotgun on one fader or a small mixer with the feature Canon left off an otherwise great cam. Wonder who else is in the same predicament?
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Is there a limiter on the XH G1?
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Checking the specs, it doesn't seem so.
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #6
New Boot

page 49

12 dB w/ internal Mic or 20 dB w/ an external Mic

I have used a BeachTek DXA-4P with my GL-2 but I have not tried it on the A1
Greg Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We need your vote! Allan, check out the poll & cast your ballot if you haven't already, soft clipping/limiter is about 2/3 of the way down on the list, wish I had it every time out with this cam.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You got it Stu! Isn't a limiter all built into the one chip though? I'm not a fan of the Beachtek sound, but...!!!

Yeah, without a limiter you always have that nagging thought about distortion etc. How do you cover wide dynamic ranges, very carefully I guess.
I have the RODE Stereo Video mic. wonder how it would mate to the A1? It has the 10db pad and a stereo minijack plug.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders