Time code differece in downconverted capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 11th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #1
New Boot

Time code differece in downconverted capture

Do the following:
Capture a footage in HD.
Capture the same with downconvert to SD option.

The timecode is shifted. The same frame does not have the same timecode in HD and SD. Any comments?

Last edited by George Szondy; February 11th, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
George Szondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2
New Boot

This is normal and common. TC is generated over 12 frames, like the mpeg-2 image.
Had the same problems with the Z-1. Edit natively in HDV or, if you can capure HDV and export rom your apllication to SD (FCP exports the timecode as well. But you will use double disc space.
Cheers,
Salar
Salar Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How far off

How far off is the timecode when downcoverting. I do same day highlights at weddings and when we do one with the new A1 we will be downconverting. We have a shot list and write down timecodes of shots we want so we can capture more easily. Is it many seconds or just a few frames of a second?
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle
How far off is the timecode when downcoverting...
About 11-12 frames.
George Szondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Cool....I can deal with that. Our timecodes just get us in the ball park of where the shot was at. If it was multiple seconds it may cause a problem.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Not sure if this is related or not... When capturing down-converted footage using Scenalyzer Live, using time-code changes to detect scene breaks, I consistently get 3 frames from the previous scene on the front of every clip. This is just a little confusing in my NLE (Liquid 5.62) since by default it uses the first frame as the icon thumbnail picture (they call it a "picon") for the clip. If this was a GOP issue, I'd expect a varying number of extra frames, from 0 to 13 (PAL GOPs are 13 frames). I therefore think that in the data stream over firewire, the timecode is 3 frames ahead of the pictures. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it is a result of using Scenalyzer? I must try capturing with Liquid, and see if I get the same result....
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7
New Boot

Nle

I use Adobe Premiere CS 2.0
George Szondy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders