Bought an A1 and now wish you bought... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Bought an A1 and now wish you bought...

I was given a package price from a local dealer on the A1 and have until early next week to make up my mind. This is my first step into the higher end of Video. Last camera was a consumer 3 ccd SD. I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing with it. I've done still photography at weddings and thought I'd also try video.

I just thought I'd find out why people have buyers remourse before I buy. I didn't want to spend much more than $4kUSD and I want HD.

Signed
Sleepless in Ottawa
David Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Major Player

another. .
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Ditto! seriously thinking about number two already.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Contributor

My only remorse is that B&H now sells the camera for $3500. I paid $4K. Still, it's the best thing on the market for that price, in my opinion. No regrets whatsoever.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I took my XH A1 for the trip just 2 days after I picked it up from B&H. I was afraid it wouldn't arrive on time but it did. No regrets either. Remorse? None whatsoever :) I'm glad Canon pushed most of the XL H1 contents into smaller form factor.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No regrets

Just got mine recently. Loving the camera as I get to know more about it. LOOOVE the pre-set (rack) focus feature! Wish I had a second one of these.
Insung Hwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #7
New Boot

I guess since I don't know what I'm getting into, it's a big chunk of change to spend on a tool I've never made a dime with. The camera is also a bit more expensive in Canada. Thanks for the feedback
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #8
Major Player

If you dont plan on making money from it, I would suggest the HV20. It presumably has the same quality, 24p and manual control. It will give you near the performance for only a grand. I am planning on a few to supplement my A1.

My current HV10 is amazing!
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #9
New Boot

I did say I haven't made a dime in video, but I forgot about a job I did a year or so ago. It was a SD 3 ccd and I bought a nice Rode mic to go with it. It was about $1200 then, and EVEN I could tell it wasn't a great picture. I would like to get into video as a part of my career over the next year or so. I know you need professional tools if you are going to be taken seriously, but are you trying to say the image is as good out of the HV10 in most shooting situations as the A1?
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #10
Major Player

YES, the hv10 is almost as good in picture quality. It has a nice big 1/2.7 sensor for decent DOF and crisp colorful images that definately rivals if not surpasses the A1 in instances. Now the HV10 isn't a miracle worker, especially in low light and manual controls, but once you understand the limitations, the sky is the limit.

I can't say enough about the HV10, the HV20 will be better in lowlight more accessible controls and 24p! This cam is going to be fabulous, building upon the HV10, and rivaling the big brothers the H1 and A1. If you plan on doing serious commercial work, then you can't really get by with a consumer looking cam, but for semi-pro, documentary, and home videos, this cam will be stellar.

I plan on using my HV20 as a pro-backup tool and behind the scenes cam, as it makes people less intimidated and they can act more natural around a small cam.

I dont want to deter your XH-A1 purchase, but you may be able to get by with the HV10 or Hv20. I still love my A1 as much as the day I bought it, but I love the HV10 as well.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grant
I guess since I don't know what I'm getting into, it's a big chunk of change to spend on a tool I've never made a dime with. The camera is also a bit more expensive in Canada. Thanks for the feedback
Hi David, I can certainly relate to the money situation. It certainly IS a lot of money as far as money goes. But for what it does, it's actually pretty affordable! Think of it as a small fish in a big (professional) pond. If you're sure about getting into professional video, I might suggest getting some sort of film/media education, if you haven't already done so (not to sound condescending or anything like that!). Reason I say this is, is that once you know what you need to make a professional product, you'll realize that the offerings of this camera aren't luxury items, but necessities. Sure, any cinematographer or videographer worth their dime will make a beautiful picture out of anything whether it's the latest 4K Red Camera or an old Super-8 Sankyo. Basically, invest in yourself first, then the equipment.

oh, by the way, don't let the pressure of the "package price" rush you into a buying decision. With digital technology, you'll likely have a better deal the following week than the current week anyway! Research, and know what you want to use the camera for. As Holly mentioned, if you're doing documentaries there are advantages to using a smaller form-factor camera.
Insung Hwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #12
Major Player

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...s-Its-True.htm

The HV-20 does sound as if it could be a nice static/2nd or 3rd camera. Would be nice to have two XH-A1's and an HV-20 for family stuff and occasional static/third camera work. From my point of view, I'm talking wedding shoots.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I am seriously considering the HV20 to use on my Merlin and as a deck for the XH-A1.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #14
Major Player

The HV20 does look pretty appetising, although I love the compact tidy lines of the HV10.
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #15
Wrangler

Same feelings here from another very happy A1 owner. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a second. I'm just coming back from several weeks overseas in rugged locales, and I'm extremely pleased with it's performance. Definitely getting that falling in love feeling.

My only remorse is that I wish I could find a custom hiking backpack with a good waist belt. (And of course it's only now that I see the Camrade advert at the top of DV Info.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders