Filter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Contributor

Filter question

Will the lens cap fit on if a 72mm threaded filter is screwed onto the lens?

I thought I had an old 72mm UV filter from an older camera, but it turned out to be 82mm, so I haven't got one for the A1 yet. I can't tell by looking if the filter can be left on all the time and still use the lens cap.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Bill.....

Yes...It fits in the screw on 72mm UV filter (Hoya). Need fairly nimble fingers, though to hit the target with the lens hood on, but it connects and holds just fine.

Regards
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, it fits great

I've put the lens cap on with my clear glass and polarizing filter... no problems
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Contributor

Thanks. It annoys the heck out of me to have to go buy 72mm filters, since I've had lots of them from back in my 16mm Angenieux 12:120 days. I think I gave them away some years ago, thinking I'd never need any that small again. I could get a Series 9 stepdown ring and use all my Series 9 filters, but then I couldn't keep on the cool lens hood.

I noticed that in addition to the usual UV filters, Tiffen now makes a white water glass protective filter. It's not coated. Anybody use that, and does the lack of coating make it more prone to flare?
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Lens cap? What's that?...... OH... that small disc shaped thingy I keep losing :-\

Come on Canon! Make us a dang hood that has the freakin' shutter design ala Sony! :)

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
I noticed that in addition to the usual UV filters, Tiffen now makes a white water glass protective filter. It's not coated. Anybody use that, and does the lack of coating make it more prone to flare?
I use a Hoya multi-coated clear glass filter instead of the UV, and it works great, no trouble with reflections as of yet. Pretty thin though; it's about half the thickness of the old Tiffen one I used with my XL1s. Never used the white water glass though... not really sure what the difference is.

Here's the Hoya on B&H, around $65 shipped:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=391168&is=REG
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby
Lens cap? What's that?...... OH... that small disc shaped thingy I keep losing :-\

Come on Canon! Make us a dang hood that has the freakin' shutter design ala Sony! :)

Bill
I second this! Man, I hate the stupid lens cap. I put it in my back pocket a lot and always end up sitting on it... afraid I'll break it eventually

That's the one thing I miss from my old VX2100 was that shutter, it was priceless! Anyone tried to fit the FX1 lens hood on the A1 like the eyecup?? :)
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Exactly Nick. At the very least, they could have made the hood with some kind of clip doohicky on the bottom of the shade to clip the cap on. Something... anything... than what we got now.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Contributor

I don't have a problem with the lens cap. it's an excellent one and doesn't slide off. I guess I got into a good lens cap placement habit back in the days when I'd shoot 3 or 4 still cameras with half a dozen lenses each, a 16mm camera and a view camera all at a single location. I got into the habit of always putting the lens cap in my left pocket (Hasselblad slides went into my right pocket). I never lay it down anyplace--it always goes in my left pocket. And I've never lost a lens cap.
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have just purchased the new 'Hoya Pro1 Digital Filters'. They seem a bit expensive but I was taken in by the 'designed exclusively for digital cameras'.
These are thinner then normal Hoya filters but the lens cap does still manage to grip the front ring -about half the thread engaged - but it does feel secure.
Robert Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I already dropped the lens cap into a small stream in Yellowstone . . . luckily I have a fast and nimble friend who saw it fall and snagged it. Anyway . . . I bought a nice 72mm lens cap on eBay that has an elastic cord attached to it. I just half-hitched the other end to the A1's strap. Now the issue is that the cap blows in the wind and sometimes knocks something for an annoying "click". :-(

Once again Sony had a better idea:

VX-2000: Integrate a clip into the cap so you can clip the
cap onto the strap. (no poem intended)

VX-2100: Way cool integrated hood/cap.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:23 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the lens caps with the opaque center for white balancing ?

Do an ebay search for "72mm white" - there isn't much difference except price.

There seems to be an adaptor ring for the cap - probably dustproof too.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders