new A1, need advice on shot settings... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

new A1, need advice on shot settings...

I know this is a kinda "depends on what you like" question but I dont have time to figure out what I like so I'm gonna fire it at you guys, :).

I'm filming a Mardi Gras parade that rolls tonight from the back of my truck. I'm parked downtown where I'm under a streetlight so it wont be complete darkness. and obviously the floats will have lights on them as well.

I've hardly played with the camera other than a few tapes on auto. So what would you guys recommend as far as going 24f or 60i and which preset (from the A1 preset download section) should I choose to give me some decent footage for tonight. I know that's a loaded question with many different answers but I need to just go with someone's recommendation on this being that I havent had time to test and see what I like yet.

thanks guys
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Mark if I were you, I'd shoot 30F instead of 24. Much more forgiving on camera moves, pans / zooms etc. Try 30F with a shutter speed of 1/30th and some gain; should give you a bright image in that kind of light. You might crank up the Color Gain in the Custom presets menu... maybe somebody else will have some input...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Major Player

People have had good luck with DVXMATCH and PANALOOK presets for general shooting. As far as frames rates, figure out how much light you'll get using 60i to begin with at a 1/60 shutter speed. Is this enough exposure on the viewfinder?

If not, go the 30F route @ 1/30 shutter speed to bump up the light level a little bit. Just be cautious about panning...slow is best. I personally like to use gain over a shutter speed that messes with motion, but a lot of people don't have a problem with it. Test it out and see if the playback suits your tastes.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

well ill be panning and zooming a lot, there will be lots of action around me and I want to catch as much as possible. starting to finally get dark so I'll try some testing in a bit to see how it looks on the viewfinder
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Go Cycle

Could someone explain the difference in the DVXMATCH vs. PANALOOK?

Is the DVX suppose to emulate the 100B?

PANALOOK.......the Panny 200?

Thanks,
LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter
People have had good luck with DVXMATCH and PANALOOK presets for general shooting. As far as frames rates, figure out how much light you'll get using 60i to begin with at a 1/60 shutter speed. Is this enough exposure on the viewfinder?

If not, go the 30F route @ 1/30 shutter speed to bump up the light level a little bit. Just be cautious about panning...slow is best. I personally like to use gain over a shutter speed that messes with motion, but a lot of people don't have a problem with it. Test it out and see if the playback suits your tastes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders