DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Presets Explanation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/86802-presets-explanation.html)

Dean Collins February 18th, 2007 04:01 AM

Presets Explanation

I come to these boards and I always see people write in threads like "I downloaded this preset from the preset library and it makes the footage look incredible." It seems like everyone is saying this and using all these presets. Im just using the standard regular stuff the camera came with. Can somebody explain the "presets" to me and give me examples or something. AND I dont understand when ppl say they download the presets because how do they get it on there camera?!! Someone help! thanks!~

-dean

Piotr Wozniacki February 18th, 2007 05:01 AM

Dean, have you read the manual? Please do:)

In the meantime I'll tell you that a custom preset is a combination of picture parameters that you can tweak to your liking and save in one of the 10 files inside the camera, or additional 20 on your memory stick (in fact, you can also save a preset in use while taking a still). You can recall (activate) any of your stored presets at any time before actually shooting, to achieve the special look intented when creating the preset.

You can also download a preset defined and saved in a .CPF file by somebody else (they are regular computer files that you can exchange in usual ways, like internet downloads to you computer's disk). Once on your disk, you can use a card reader to transfer those files to you memory card.

There also is another more sophisicated way of creating and storing presets - but unforunately you need to pay for a piece of software named Console to use it.

I hope this helps.

Ray Lindsay February 18th, 2007 12:23 PM

Hey Piotr, that's pretty funny. I know you weren't trying to make Dean feel stupid, and your advice was helpful. I just wanted to point out that for people like me, who are not semi-professional or pro photographers or videographers, you can read the manual and still not understand what they are talking about. I also did read the manual and I don't remember seeing the section that explains how to download a preset to your computer and then to your camera. So to me that didn't seem like a stupid question.

Maybe we need a section for new users who are trying to figure out how to make use of all of the features of their cool new camera. Call it the "idiot room" or "A1 for Dummies" section. I bet you would be surprised how many people have good questions but never ask for fear of being made out as a fool. Instead they continue on in full auto.

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2007 12:35 PM

It's probably time for me to start an XH A1/G1 Frequently Asked Questions thread. We've always had a firm policy on this site that there's no such thing as a "stupid question," but there are plenty of questions that have already been asked numerous times before (such as how to move presets), and those are the ones which make us cringe.

Tony Tremble February 18th, 2007 12:43 PM

I think the XH-A1 manual leaves a lot to be desired particularly in terms of preset parameter explanation.

A manual as poor as the XH-A1's has left the door wide open for an enterprising author to fill in the considerable gaps...

There are some excellent PDF on the XL-H1 minisite at Canon.

TT

Piotr Wozniacki February 18th, 2007 12:48 PM

Dean, Ray,

By no means did I want to offend anybody; nor did my answer imply I thought it was a "stupid question"; Chris is absolutely right in saying there's no such thing - only stupid answers...

Please accept my apologies if it sounded this way.

Also, Tony is right about the manual itself not being very helpful in explaining what each of the parameters actually means or does; I'd only add that the Canon's manuals are not the worst I've seen.

Still, after Dean gets the very idea of "custom presets", he might be best off if he simply experimented with his camera hooked up to a decent monitor.

Even Solberg February 18th, 2007 05:20 PM

Personally, I would love to see a wiki for the A1. There is lots of great information in people's heads here that just isn't in the manual.

Ray Lindsay February 18th, 2007 10:04 PM

Thanks Piotr, I know you weren't saying it was a stupid question or trying to offend. I was just pointing out that by saying "RTFM", that sometimes folks have RTFM. It can be confusing, and the manual seems to make certain assumptions of a certain knowledge base for everybody who purchases an A1. I do understand they have to do this to a certain extent as to avoid making the manual 2,000 pages long. It is interesting though, that they seem to get real specific on instructions for simple tasks (i.e. an entire page devoted on how to insert a cassette) yet assume everybody knows what master pedestal is. (still don't know)

That's what makes this website so valuable. I think fostering a newbies quest for knowledge is a good thing. I really like Chris' idea of a FAQ sectiion. I do always try to search the forums but an FAQ section for beginners would save us all a lot of time.

Thanks to all for letting me ramble.

Adam Reuter February 18th, 2007 11:42 PM

This XL H1 White Paper from Canon will help you a little:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Stefano Folgaria February 19th, 2007 02:19 AM

Anyway, if you read the "XH Custom Presets Download Library" section carefully, you'll be able to use store presets on your camera card, it's so easy and well described that it seems done for DUMMIES.
And when you invoke them in the camere, there's a button to make ON or OFF that preset and you will see immediately the change on the monitor.
Chris, I read that information when I got the camera and I had in a minute all the preset loaded. In which other way it should be explained???
Regard to all.

Dean Collins February 21st, 2007 12:52 PM

My questions are do you need a memory card reader to do this all the time? Does everyone who uses presets online have memory card readers?? Arent you guys afraid of just using the same presets as everybody else by downloading it. Your look isn't your own unique look. ???

Stefano Folgaria February 21st, 2007 01:02 PM

you need to do it just one time... and you have them all in the card :-D

..only if you like to have a wider choiche when in particular situation and not have time to correct colors...

Piotr Wozniacki February 21st, 2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Collins
My questions are do you need a memory card reader to do this all the time? Does everyone who uses presets online have memory card readers?? Arent you guys afraid of just using the same presets as everybody else by downloading it. Your look isn't your own unique look. ???

If you have the Console software from Canon and firewire connection, you don't need a card reader - but of course this is a much more expensive solution, serving many other purposes as well (or first of all, should I say?)

Chris Hurd February 21st, 2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Collins
do you need a memory card reader to do this all the time?

Yes.

Quote:

Does everyone who uses presets online have memory card readers?
It's pretty much a required item. But we're talking about a $20 accessory. Dirt cheap... less than the cost of a tank of gas... there's no reason not to have one.

Quote:

Arent you guys afraid of just using the same presets as everybody else by downloading it. Your look isn't your own unique look?
It's no big deal. You can take any preset and tweak it so that it is your own unique look. Look at it this way, before there were any presets, it was very hard to get a "unique look." I used to be able to tell XL1 video from VX1000 video. Those days are long gone thankfully, now that we have a bunch of presets to share.

Ray Lindsay February 21st, 2007 03:23 PM

Hey Dean, I got one last night at OfficeMax for $12.99. It just plugs into your USB slot, no software download to make it work. The newer cards actually already have the "PRESET" folder on the SD card. Open the preset files that Chris has on the sticky list and download them directly to your card. Stick your card into the camera and they automatically are applied when you toggle through them on your camera. Very easy.

So you will have your 9 presets that are already on your camera. The first 6 are all set at normal with 0 values, and the last 3 are locked down. If you want to experiment with those first 6 then tweak away. You then have the "locked down" presets and then the camera automatically takes you to the 18 you download from here.