DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Movie Trailer for a wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/87596-movie-trailer-wedding.html)

Philip Hinkle February 26th, 2007 01:29 PM

Movie Trailer for a wedding

Got my A1 a few weeks back and had an opportunity to try it out some on Saturday.

I was second shooter for another company on Saturday but they allowed me to bring the camera and get some footage to put together and make a little trailer. I included their name on the beginning of the trailer. I was hoping for better stuff but the bride insisted she wanted the lights down low so she had 2/3 of the church lights off. Ahhh! There is a shot of the sanctuary with the lights down...that's what the ceremony lighting was set at.

Some of the ceremony shots are a little grainy as they had to be tweaked in the NLE. I ran at 6db gain the whole time hoping to get incredible stuff but lots of it was pretty dark. I learned alot about what the cam will and won't do. Next time will be much better. The only shot in the video where light was used was the single shot of the cake at the end. Luckily I wasn't being paid for this footage so I could experiment.

www.frogmanproductions.com/video/HDTrailer.mov

Can't wait to try it again at the next wedding.

Doug Davis February 27th, 2007 09:34 AM

That rocks man...

Jeff Nelson February 27th, 2007 11:19 AM

uh...

The music makes me expect something violent, like a horror film. I think maybe in the last scene, the groom should take out a knife and plunge it into the bride's throat! At least, that's what the music makes me expect.

Also, the low shots of the bride, from below, that's the angle women fear most! Kind of an unflattering angle.

I keep waiting for a bomb to go off or something.

Anyhow, some nice footage, music seems a little off, for my taste. Might consider putting this shot at the end there somehow: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...php?id=2147646

Just joking about the shot!

Philip Hinkle February 27th, 2007 11:57 AM

Someone else on another board commented about the music too. I have another version of the same song minus the voices which takes some of the pent up drama and anxiety out of the song. I will probably drop in the other song version for an upcoming bridal fair where it will play.

The low angle shot was not the original intent. I initially was working for a dress detail shot and I thought her hands there looked nice. I did a few moves up and on the last one she thought it would be cute to do the finger thing. I had her do it again just for fun and told her how to do it. She got a kick out of it. Those shots are often not the most flattering but it shows her having fun on her day and I had her look down at the cam instead of "shooting up her nose". It kinda gives the idea that for the day she is bigger than life. One minister said at a rehearsal this last year the on her wedding day, for that 24 hour time period, the entire universe revolves around her and everything she does...why not make her bigger than life :-)

Steven Dempsey February 27th, 2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson
Anyhow, some nice footage, music seems a little off, for my taste. Might consider putting this shot at the end there somehow: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...php?id=2147646

Just joking about the shot!

LMAO!! I have to agree. In my opinion, the music makes the whole thing seem cheesy.

It was a little offputting when you started off with a nice jibshot (or steadicam-style shot, I'm not sure which) and then you go into an unstable hand held shot...it was a little jarring. Also, you seem to be using a pretty extreme wide angle..is that an adapter? Seemed fuzzy around the edges.

I think there were some nice shots here but all of the stuff I mentioned above took a more positive visual experience away from me.

Hope that wasn't too harsh. Thanks for sharing.

Philip Hinkle February 27th, 2007 12:33 PM

Not too harsh at all. I was looking for dramatic. I think I went a little too dramatic. I will dump the non vocal version of the music in on the final version. It is much more tame....those voices really influence it. I was looking for dramatic...guess I got it. :-)

There was a cheapo semi fisheye in use on a few of those shots....this shoot taught me in can't be retrofitted well to this camera. Luckily we weren't getting paid for this clip and I was free to do whatever I wanted. I will mess around with the unstable handheld shot and see if I can't smooth it out a little. I have a few ideas to clean it up. The more I watched the video the more I realized that shot was pretty bouncy.

BTW...the opening shot was completely handheld.

Michael Buonopane February 27th, 2007 06:46 PM

A1 Clips

Where did that soundtrack come from?

Philip Hinkle February 27th, 2007 07:18 PM

Check you PM.

Noel Evans March 4th, 2007 09:15 AM

Nice shots, sounds like the opener to a war epic.

Ayman Hussein March 4th, 2007 04:41 PM

I thought overall, it was pretty funny from a movie/trailer stand point.
Though how it ended, left little to be desired. It didn't fit in well.

One of things i did like was when the bride and groom was about to kiss, the scene faded away. It was like, were they going to kiss or not? lol

Jerome Cloninger March 4th, 2007 07:06 PM

Philip, I think it was great! Can't wait to see the next one.