Movie Trailer for a wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Movie Trailer for a wedding

Got my A1 a few weeks back and had an opportunity to try it out some on Saturday.

I was second shooter for another company on Saturday but they allowed me to bring the camera and get some footage to put together and make a little trailer. I included their name on the beginning of the trailer. I was hoping for better stuff but the bride insisted she wanted the lights down low so she had 2/3 of the church lights off. Ahhh! There is a shot of the sanctuary with the lights down...that's what the ceremony lighting was set at.

Some of the ceremony shots are a little grainy as they had to be tweaked in the NLE. I ran at 6db gain the whole time hoping to get incredible stuff but lots of it was pretty dark. I learned alot about what the cam will and won't do. Next time will be much better. The only shot in the video where light was used was the single shot of the cake at the end. Luckily I wasn't being paid for this footage so I could experiment.

www.frogmanproductions.com/video/HDTrailer.mov

Can't wait to try it again at the next wedding.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Major Player

That rocks man...
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

uh...

The music makes me expect something violent, like a horror film. I think maybe in the last scene, the groom should take out a knife and plunge it into the bride's throat! At least, that's what the music makes me expect.

Also, the low shots of the bride, from below, that's the angle women fear most! Kind of an unflattering angle.

I keep waiting for a bomb to go off or something.

Anyhow, some nice footage, music seems a little off, for my taste. Might consider putting this shot at the end there somehow: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...php?id=2147646

Just joking about the shot!
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Someone else on another board commented about the music too. I have another version of the same song minus the voices which takes some of the pent up drama and anxiety out of the song. I will probably drop in the other song version for an upcoming bridal fair where it will play.

The low angle shot was not the original intent. I initially was working for a dress detail shot and I thought her hands there looked nice. I did a few moves up and on the last one she thought it would be cute to do the finger thing. I had her do it again just for fun and told her how to do it. She got a kick out of it. Those shots are often not the most flattering but it shows her having fun on her day and I had her look down at the cam instead of "shooting up her nose". It kinda gives the idea that for the day she is bigger than life. One minister said at a rehearsal this last year the on her wedding day, for that 24 hour time period, the entire universe revolves around her and everything she does...why not make her bigger than life :-)
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson
Anyhow, some nice footage, music seems a little off, for my taste. Might consider putting this shot at the end there somehow: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...php?id=2147646

Just joking about the shot!
LMAO!! I have to agree. In my opinion, the music makes the whole thing seem cheesy.

It was a little offputting when you started off with a nice jibshot (or steadicam-style shot, I'm not sure which) and then you go into an unstable hand held shot...it was a little jarring. Also, you seem to be using a pretty extreme wide angle..is that an adapter? Seemed fuzzy around the edges.

I think there were some nice shots here but all of the stuff I mentioned above took a more positive visual experience away from me.

Hope that wasn't too harsh. Thanks for sharing.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Not too harsh at all. I was looking for dramatic. I think I went a little too dramatic. I will dump the non vocal version of the music in on the final version. It is much more tame....those voices really influence it. I was looking for dramatic...guess I got it. :-)

There was a cheapo semi fisheye in use on a few of those shots....this shoot taught me in can't be retrofitted well to this camera. Luckily we weren't getting paid for this clip and I was free to do whatever I wanted. I will mess around with the unstable handheld shot and see if I can't smooth it out a little. I have a few ideas to clean it up. The more I watched the video the more I realized that shot was pretty bouncy.

BTW...the opening shot was completely handheld.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #7
New Boot

A1 Clips

Where did that soundtrack come from?
Michael Buonopane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Check you PM.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice shots, sounds like the opener to a war epic.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I thought overall, it was pretty funny from a movie/trailer stand point.
Though how it ended, left little to be desired. It didn't fit in well.

One of things i did like was when the bride and groom was about to kiss, the scene faded away. It was like, were they going to kiss or not? lol
Ayman Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Philip, I think it was great! Can't wait to see the next one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders