End Search problem...HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

End Search problem...HELP!

okay guys, I just got my new A1 back finally! First one had a zoom malfunction and i had to exchange it with B&H. I'm having a problem with this one too (how depressing...) but hopefully i'm just being an idiot and overlooking something. When I push the end search button the little red arrow appears on the lcd but nothing happens. The tape doesn't fast forward to the end or anything. This is the same tape that was used in the first A1 and nothing new has been recorded on it. It has NO gaps in the recording and even if it did it seems that the end search function should advance it to the nearest gap but there are none so thats kind of mute. The end search function worked fine with this tape on my first A1 but the new one does nothing but display the little red arrow w/o advancing or rewinding the tape. Please tell me i'm overlooking something really simple! Will it not work in certain situations or something? With certain "settings" on? I know end search isn't such a big deal, but with the fiasco of my first A1 and paying 30 or 40 dollars to ship it back then waiting around for two weeks to get the new one in and then having another malfunction within the first 3 minutes of use is so INSERT EXPLITIVE HERE frusterating!!
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My A1's started giving me the same red arrow too... it just happened right out of the blue, without warning. Mine have also been plagued with problems, it is very depressing is it not?
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, SO depressing. I might just be paranoid now, but i swear the lcd on this one is noisier than the first : (
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Major Player

"...and nothing new has been recorded on it."

The end search function cannot be used once you unload the cassette. If you are trying to seach to the end of a previously recorded tape it won't work. It only works when you record on a tape and have not removed it from the camera.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Coleman View Post
The end search function cannot be used once you unload the cassette. If you are trying to seach to the end of a previously recorded tape it won't work. It only works when you record on a tape and have not removed it from the camera.
Beat me to the punch Lloyd. I was just about to reference page 32 of the pdf manual.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

AHHH yes! thats exactly what it was! I've never been happier about being such a dunce : )
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

In addition the end search function does not go forward. It goes back and picks up a frame in the last recording (thats simply put).
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
In addition the end search function does not go forward. It goes back and picks up a frame in the last recording (thats simply put).
Hi Noel. I think you are referring to the other button that allows you to review the last shot. The end search button is revealed by opening the LCD panel and folding it away from the camera body. It will go forward as necessary to find the last recorded section.

Sadly, as mentioned above it does not work after the tape is taken out and put back. I have an old Panasonic camera that does it properly, and can still find the end section even after the tape has been reinserted (and it doesn't use the special tapes with IC chip attached). Pity this implementation didn't catch on more.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This is the only end search button I am familiar with. I have only used it to go backward. I haven't tried going forward. I use it as I record, then playback to see what I recorded. I am usually slow hitting the stop button. To avoid a big gap I hit the end search button. The camera goes back, plays a few seconds of what I last recorded and then stops. When I start recording I now avoid any gaps.
Ray Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lindsay View Post
This is the only end search button I am familiar with. I have only used it to go backward. I haven't tried going forward. I use it as I record, then playback to see what I recorded. I am usually slow hitting the stop button. To avoid a big gap I hit the end search button. The camera goes back, plays a few seconds of what I last recorded and then stops. When I start recording I now avoid any gaps.
Hi Ray. Sounds like you should check out the Record Review button (it is 2 down from the Peaking button). By pushing one button, this will rewind to the start of last shot, play to the end of the shot and then stop, ready for the next shot.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Hi Ray. Sounds like you should check out the Record Review button (it is 2 down from the Peaking button). By pushing one button, this will rewind to the start of last shot, play to the end of the shot and then stop, ready for the next shot.

Richard
Frankly, I was considering to add to the wishlist swapping those two buttons. The End Search is much more often used, so it souldn't be hidden when the LCD is fold and closed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders