iKan V8000HD monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Tourist

iKan V8000HD monitor

Ran across this at B+H: Ikan V-8000HD 8" TFT LCD Monitor, 16:9, 1080i/720p
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It's $750, 800x480, with component input. Apparently it runs on Sony "L" series batteries, but most of the Ikan monitors will run from a little battery box with 10 AA's (which is like $30).

I googled it, and can't find it anywhere else, not even Ikan's site- http://www.ikancorp.com/index.htm
Why can't I find this anywhere? Right now it's back-ordered on B+H.

Think this is a good monitor for the price? Surely it's nowhere near as good as the Marshall, but will it get the job done for focusing with a 35mm adapter?

Any thoughts?
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There's been a rumor that Ikan will show the newest HD monitor at NAB this April
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #3
New Boot

Someone using Ikan V8000HD?

Have read some different opinions on the new Ikan V8000HD here on the forum, though most of the opinions are based on NAB. I donīt recall seeing anyone claiming they have one or even used it..

If anyone do have a copy of it and have tried it in field I would be greatfull for some review of it.

Thanks
/ Eric
Eric Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i have one but am having some technical issues with it. looks great for focusing and framing out in the field.
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

James,

Could you let us know what the technical issues are? Have you been in contact with their support? I just ordered 5 and they're on the way.
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow.. Ill give feedback in a few days...
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
James,

Could you let us know what the technical issues are? Have you been in contact with their support? I just ordered 5 and they're on the way.

well...when i got my first one it had a minor glitch, so i thought. on the first unit i got, when you try and adjust the "blue" inside the menu a blue bar appeared rather than the percentage of blue you have added/subtracted. when i adjusted the amount of "red" in that same menu option it tells me what percentage of red the monitor is at, same thing for yellow (or whatever other color option) but when trying to adjust the blue it just blanks out and a blue bar appears....and none of the menu buttons lit up (i didnt know they were even supposed to light up unitl i received the next replacement unit).

i called the dealer, they sent another unit, i get that one and some of the menu buttons light up and the others didnt. plus i had the same issue with the blue contrast option, PLUS the left menu button just didnt work at all. so i sent that one back instead of the first unit.

the dealer called ikan and one of their techs called me to see what was going on and he said the second monitor was defective but the 1st monitor was okay and that all their units do that when you adjust the blue contrast. i asked a coupla other people with ikan monitors as mine and they confirmed. i asked him why my first units buttons didnt light up and the 2nd unit did. he said something about some units were made where the menu buttons light up and some weren't. i don't know how to take that one but the monitor works and i ended up keeping it since the picture quality and everything is fine. i really just need mine for focusing and framing anyway.

the picture quality and the light weight use of the monitor is sweet, but the menu design was poorly planned out. i wont be using the menu that much anyway though. at least i dont plan on it.
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Wrangler

I'm curious as to whether this monitor shows the full frame (underscans) or if it chops off the outside edges of the picture (overscan)? Is there a menu setting for this?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

a guy posted pics of the images on his website: http://understandinc.com/samples/v8000HD/
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Major Player

I just hooked up my V8000HD and I'm VERY happy with the picture. The color might be a tad off, but I have yet to do ANY adjustments to this point. But the resolution is just great. I can't imagine someone NOT being able to use this monitor for focus and framing. And for $750 (B&H. . . not counting the batteries and Noga arm), it's a steal!

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #11
Trustee

I tested most of these level of monitors side by side at NAB. I am a focus NAZI and of all of the sub $2000 only one let you get tack sharp focus every time with a 35mm adapter. That was the Nebtek but it is also $1750.

This monitor is marginal, better than the stock LCD on most HD/HDV cameras but still far from perfect and just cant TOUCH the Panny ($3000) or Nebtek ($1750). The Marshall is also over rated. I would say the Varizoom and the Ikan are both on the lower end. It is my theory that the reason you see so much "soft" (ie OUT OF FOCUS) HD is due to poor monitoring...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Any idea when the Nebtek one will become available?
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kim View Post
Any idea when the Nebtek one will become available?
See: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....3&postcount=22 from this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=91877&page=2
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #14
Major Player

Ash,
when you say the tack sharp focus was offered by the Nebtek, I'm assuming you meant off their prototype due in production end of this month... or did you mean their current line which is Marshall's in Nebtek enclosures?

Always appreciate your experience and knowledge base Ash,
Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie Bell; July 29th, 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: mis-spell
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The focus seems to be pretty good from my experience at a minimum I can at least tell what is in focus and what is not, powers on nicely and automatically detects its connection type to the camera.

I also wanted to include some additional info here regarding battery power requirements as I was never able to locate this information prior to my purchase. We all know it can be powered by the sony L series batteries but which was never clearly stated.. again I was lucky in randomly selecting the correct battery to power this monitor...

I ordered 2 of this type battery

Adorama Lithium-Ion L-Series Camcorder B $49.95
battery with Info, Replacement for the Sony NPF-960, 6000Mah

And runtime for this battery is about 3.5 hours

See attached illustrations that came with the monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
iKan V8000HD monitor-front.jpg   iKan V8000HD monitor-rear.jpg  

Last edited by Martin Smith; July 29th, 2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Martin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders