Iris ring not working? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Yup, mine is acting that way too.
It won't stop anywhere in the range of stops,
it just goes full open to full closed...

I just hate the idea of sending it off for repairs...
Anyone have experience with the turn-over speed on repairs?

Thanks,

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #17
Major Player

wow, this doesn't bode well. the one I got at work has been fine.
having a new camera go down right before or during a shoot would suck.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Yikes!!! Mine just shipped today.
****fingers crossed*****
Scott Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Yeah, I have a shoot Sunday, it does not feel good...
I can get around it, but the camera is only three weeks
old and this is a problem I have been hearing about since
September...
what's up with that Canon?

David
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #20
Regular Crew

mine was 4 weeks old when I noticed the manual focus ring wasnt working.. its boxed up all ready to go to canon repair depot..
Brian Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I sent mine in for repair last Monday - canon paid for shipping - and it was back at my doorstep that Friday, 4 days later. That is really fast repair service in my opinion. The problem they listed on the repair sheet was that some contact in the lens assembly wasn't right, so the iris ring would not change the aperture. Must be easy to fix, because I think they fixed it in less than a day. It is scary thinking about the possibility that this could happen again, especially since I am leaving the country to shoot a documentary, and I doubt it will be this easy to fix abroad. I guess the only upside is that if you shoot in Tv mode and use exposure lock like I do, you never absolutely need manual control of the iris ring. It just sucks knowing my brand new camera might stop working correctly, even if what stops working doesn't affect me that much.
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Ben,

Good news on the fast Canon fix...encouraging.
And yes, that is what I am planning to do on my
shoot this weekend; shoot in Tv mode and use exposure lock.
But as you also mentioned, it is alittle unsettling to know
that, should you need it, the manual iris control is not functioning.

That's alright, I love the camera and it can be fixed,
so no more whining...

David
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Honestly I think these problems are just part of getting a new toy like this. Quite a few of my expensive electronics over the past few years have had issues straight out of the box. My first dSLR had dirt on the sensor the day I opened the box and the screen on my laptop broke after two weeks of owning it. None of these problems were user caused, just issues that arose very early on. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Although all things were fixed quickly and free, so I can't complain there.

I'm not worried about the iris ring malfunctioning again, but if it does I'll just have to get it repaired again. I love this camera, so hopefully I don't have to be without it again!
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

This issue sounds like simple assembly problem that occured in relatively small number of units. Things like that happen, especially with new equipment. Once fixed, it won't come back, but it worries me that such gaps in quality control happen more and more often. We all have heard about car recalls. I hope we won't have to get used to that in electronics domain.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Good to hear Ben.
Mine just arrived today and everything seems to be working just fine. whew!
Scott Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #26
New Boot

Zoom changes Iris?

Found this thread searching for aperture problems. We're into day four of a ten day shoot and I've been noticing that the range of aperture selection on Manual mode changes depending on the Zoom, which I thot was a little strange. It appears that the wider the Zoom, the more open I can go with the aperture. Zooming in will cause the aperture to close by itself!

I haven't made a rigourous test of both our A1s to see exactly what is happening, and so far it hasn't caused us any grief because we're in controlled lighting situations, but if this is a problem I'd like to resolve it and get it fixed.

Is this the same or a related problem or does anyone else see this type of behaviour? I found nothing about limited aperture settings related to zoom in the manual...

Russ
Russ Speiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Speiser View Post
Is this the same or a related problem or does anyone else see this type of behaviour? I found nothing about limited aperture settings related to zoom in the manual...

Russ
Russ, re-read the manual, it's in the specs. Nothing to worry about - all zoom lens are darker at telephoto (though the A1 is more so than some others).
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #28
New Boot

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the email. Indeed I found the line in the XH-A1 specs:
f=4.5-90mm, F/1.6-3.5, 20x power zoom

Also a search on "depth of field" in this forum yielded some good info.

Some quick experimentation seems to me to indicate that zooming in to maximum (with the aperture correspondingly more closed) yields a more shallow DOF than having the aperture open all the way and the zoom pulled all the way out, given a certain subject size (head and shoulders framing for an interview, for instance).

Shooting from thirty feet away for an interview doesn't seem very practical though. Time to try a wide angle lens.

Russ
Russ Speiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Crosbie View Post
Something seems to be up with the iris control ring on my camera. I've had my new cam for a few weeks, and only just today tried to use the manual settings. When in manual mode, I have no problem adjusting the shutter, but when I turn the iris ring, the aperture value just quickly switches back and forth between two similiar values, like f2.6 - 2.8. Sometimes it doesn't do anything, the f value just stays the same while I turn the iris ring to no avail. What could be going on here? Is there a setting I am missing, or is the camera broken?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I just got my A1 last week and I'm having the exact same issue. Very painful, as it overshadows the otherwise extremely happy experience of this fantastic new camcorder. I'll get a replacement this week... keep my fingers crossed.

Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #30
Regular Crew

More Manual Aperture Problems

I saw this post when I first got my A1, played with the iris ring and noticed that the range of apertures was limited at times in manual mode. But knowing enough about lenses and photography figured that it had to do with the zoom level I was at. I honestly don't remember whether i was fully zoomed in or not. So, though it was in the back of my mind, I forgot about it. I don't use my camera every day and I don't use it for professional purposes, per se. I am a corporate flight attendant who decided that I wanted to share more of my trip with my kids, family and friends. In another life I was a video professional who shot corporate, air force and medical video so I am not a newby to cameras, though am rather impressed with the technological progress of video equipment.

I was on a trip this past week shooting in a room lit mostly by the light from a window. I wanted to overexpose the window so that the exposure in the rest of the room was at the proper levels when I zoomed out. And I wanted to point at the window and zoom out and down to get the view of the entire room. I set the camera to Aperture Priority and did a medium shot with the window centered and overexposed. But as I was holding the camera at the window I noticed that the iris was self adjusting in step increments until the window light was no longer overexposed. I tried this a number of times and think that i got a tape of this happening. The laptop I have when I travel is too slow to do any video capture so this will have to wait until next week when I am home to upload here. I know I was in aperture mode, and even if I adjusted the aperture back to the overexposed level, the camera adjusted back to the proper exposure.
Has anyone seen this? I will be contacting Canon tomorrow to tell them about this situation and I will report what they tell me.
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders