DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Iris ring not working? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/88630-iris-ring-not-working.html)

Ben Crosbie March 10th, 2007 01:54 PM

Iris ring not working?

Something seems to be up with the iris control ring on my camera. I've had my new cam for a few weeks, and only just today tried to use the manual settings. When in manual mode, I have no problem adjusting the shutter, but when I turn the iris ring, the aperture value just quickly switches back and forth between two similiar values, like f2.6 - 2.8. Sometimes it doesn't do anything, the f value just stays the same while I turn the iris ring to no avail. What could be going on here? Is there a setting I am missing, or is the camera broken?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan Luethje March 10th, 2007 05:50 PM

Hm... my A1 doesn't behave like this. Iris just works as it should. I'd contact Canon or your dealer.

Allan Black March 10th, 2007 06:15 PM

Is there a total reset button you can activate?

Ben Crosbie March 10th, 2007 07:46 PM

I don't know about a reset button, does anyone? I guess I will call canon and see what the issue is. I assume the camera came this way, becuase I have hardly used it so far, and have not damaged or dropped it in any way.

Everything else works fine, and I know the iris works when in auto or Tv mode, beucause I can see the exposure changing when moving between different levels of lighting. So I feel like it's either a firmware issue, or something is just not set correctly. I would imagine if it was defective, my dealer (B&H) or canon would replace it... I hope.

Bill Busby March 10th, 2007 09:17 PM

There's a reset function just above the speaker underneath the handle where the LCD nests when closed. You have to use a small paper clip or something similar. Not sure this will cure your iris problem though.

Bill

Ben Crosbie March 11th, 2007 08:54 AM

I found the reset button and used a pin to press it, but nothing happens. Is it supposed to be held down for a certain length of time, or when the camera is on, or off? I can't find anything in the manual about it.

Bill Busby March 11th, 2007 01:08 PM

There's a very tiny bit about it in the manual. In the pdf manual page 13 shows a graphic representation of all top view buttons/functions but the reset button is the only one that doesn't have a page reference associated with it, go figure.

And on page 152 midway down, there's a short description. It seems as though it just resets all setting to their factory default. I doubt this will fix your iris ring problem though.

Bill

Ben Crosbie March 11th, 2007 07:07 PM

So no one else has experienced anything like this before? I will call canon tomorrow.

Matthew Nayman March 11th, 2007 07:18 PM

are you in M mode? green box mode? Which mode is your wheel set to?

Ben Crosbie March 12th, 2007 07:40 AM

I am in M mode. Being in A priority mode has the same issue as well.

Chris Hurd March 12th, 2007 08:06 AM

Sounds like a definite problem, Ben -- the closest Canon service center to you is in Jamesburg, New Jersey. Should be a simple warranty repair item.

Ben Crosbie March 12th, 2007 01:42 PM

Yup, looks like it is definitely defective. I'll have to call canon tech support today, but they will probably say I need to send it in for repairs. Bummer.

Ben Crosbie March 13th, 2007 07:45 AM

Just as a quick update to anyone else who might have this problem - I called canon and this issue does require repair at their service center.

Jose Ortiz March 27th, 2007 06:57 PM

I also got my new Canon A1 with this same problem. Exactly the same iris range problem. This is my second Canon A1. The first camera is from December and that one still working fine. Now since the 2nd camera is brand new, the dealer is going to replace the camera with no shipping charges.This is an issue that I already talked with the canon people and they are aware of it.

Cal Bickford March 27th, 2007 07:03 PM

My first A1 had problems with the focus and zoom rings. I returned it and now my second one is having problems, nothing that is constantly malfunctioning but enough to be really annoying. Maybe the lens servo isn't designed very well or something...