Vertical Light (Not)Fantastic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Vertical Light (Not)Fantastic

My partner and I were fiddling on the beach with our new A1 this evening, seeing what it is capable of over-exposing into the sun as it was setting, and noticed vertical lines appearing from over-bright light sources. Here's a clip I took as it was getting dark on the road just up from the beach on +6 gain, and the lines can be seen again.

Is this something I need to work around (i.e. a limitation of the format), being careful not to overexpose bright light sources, is it a question of settings being up the pole, or is there a problem with my camera?

http://www.thinkteam.co.za/vertical.mov

BTW - we were on 25f, auto white balance, +6 gain

Last edited by Ian Henderson; March 12th, 2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Additions
Ian Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Video Bear

That's "vertical smear", and it's typical behavior for any CCD image sensor, not just HDV camcorders.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3
New Boot

So *that's* what vertical smear is then... Is it a live with it situation, or how do people handle it, or lessen its effects?
Ian Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Video Bear

1. Live with it.
2. Avoid having bright point sources of light in the shot.
3. Make believe you planned it that way, by using a multipoint star filter on the lens.
4. Use a camera with a CMOS imager instead of a CCD. CMOS chips exhibit far less vertical smear.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Go Cycle

Agree............the CMOS chips in my HV-10 exhibits little smear. The CCD chips in my XH-A1 and my XL2 display the usual CCD vertical lines.

NOTE: Be careful of reflections from water and chrome objects such as car bumpers. Use a polarizer filter for the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
1. Live with it.
2. Avoid having bright point sources of light in the shot.
3. Make believe you planned it that way, by using a multipoint star filter on the lens.
4. Use a camera with a CMOS imager instead of a CCD. CMOS chips exhibit far less vertical smear.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders