What PC-based NLE do You Recommend for the XH-A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 16th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #16
Regular Crew

PP vs. Vegas?

I'm a longtime Premiere user (now using PP 2.0). Given what I'm reading here, I would love to see a comparison of PP 2.0 to Vegas from someone who has used both apps.

-- Larry Chapman
Larry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #17
Major Player

I have used PP 1, 1.5, and limited experience with 2. I have just been putting Vegas through its paces using the trial version. Although I dont have real production expereince with PP2 or Vegas, at this point I would say that Vegas is hands down superior. It has been far more reliable and quicker to accomplish tasks. I have learned how do things quickly and well in Vegas that were a real struggle in PP (secondary color correction for example). Even the help system is way better.

I am currently ordering a new editing system for HDV work and it will have Vegas not Premiere as the NLE.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Check out this discussion about support for the Canon frame mode in various NLEs...

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77085
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #19
Major Player

Just wondering if any of the Premiere users here would miss the Premiere/Photoshop updates. Sure is nice editing an image in PS and seeing the PP timeline updated.

Also, are any Premiere users also using Matrox? I use to edit with Premiere standalone and renders to DVD were horrible taking 5 or 6 hours. With Matrox, it's real-time. For example, how long would an 80 minute SD project on Vegas take to render to DVD?

Matrox/Premiere is not a stable mix even on recommended systems. But the real-time benefits would be impossible to give up.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Also, regarding Nvidia cards, install the approved driver Avid includes on the disc instead of the one that came with your card. There's also various tweaks & such to help a system run at peak performance. If & when you get to that point, I can come up with some links to throw your way.

Bill
Bill, I'd love to see those links if you have a chance.

BTW, do you know how the Quadro FX 1100 (AGP 8X dual digital output) and the Quadro4 NVS 400 (PCI dual digital output) would work together under Avid?

The Quadro FX is the higher-end card, but the Quadro4 NVS is no slouch. Could I even do something as simple as not extending Avid to the monitors running off the Quadro4 NVS?

I also use my computer for rather inept C++ programming, creating bloated Visual Basic add-in's and designing Excel 2000 spreadsheets with far too many colors and dubious value. Since switching to the Quadro, I'm down two monitors and would like get the other two back up and running.

I'm thinking maybe the Quadro4 NVS 400 will allow me to do that, but I'm not sure if Avid will be too picky. Nvidia's multi-monitor app, nView, is supported by both cards. But they do use different drivers, AFAICT.

THANKS MUCH for all your help.

-Peter

P.S. Searched the Avid forums, but couldn't find anything. Thanks again.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Peter, I have stored... somewhere on this pc, a directory that had a lot of Avid tips, tweaks & info links that I'd come across years ago. When I find it (so far no luck), I'll get the ones relevant to you. Regarding the Avid forums, quite a few of these came from there. Also, FWIW, I've found that searches there get better results if for a specific forum.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian View Post
Just wondering if any of the Premiere users here would miss the Premiere/Photoshop updates. Sure is nice editing an image in PS and seeing the PP timeline updated.

Bob

I do this all the time in Vegas. I'll have a PSD file on the timeline, open that up in Photoshop, make my adjustments, press Ctrl+S click back in the vegas timeline and it's allready updated. I made the switche from Premiere to Vegas about 2 years ago, and honestly I have not looked back since. Adobe has done nothing to convince me to ever go back to Premiere.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #23
Regular Crew

settings help for Vegas 7 and Canon A1

What settings should i use for the Canon A1 for preferences and capture.
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #24
Major Player

Jay
Just pick the import template for whatever you shot in (1080/60i, 1080/24f, etc). Couldnt be easier.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Chapman View Post
I'm a longtime Premiere user (now using PP 2.0). Given what I'm reading here, I would love to see a comparison of PP 2.0 to Vegas from someone who has used both apps.

-- Larry Chapman
what do u wanna know?

and the person asking abotu Matrox with premPro.. check out teh Premiere/PC editing forums..

there are quite afew limitations of the RT2.. especially with 1080@24/25p

The RT2 is STRICTLY locked into HW resolution..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #26
Wrangler

There are dozens of previous similar threads on DVi and I've never seen better advice in any of them than to try before you buy. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need spend time sorting through other people's personal preferences. I don't put much stock in the "I use X app so you should too" concept. The big NLEs have free downloadable trial versions. Give 'em a try and decide which one suits you best.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Premiere v. Vegas v. Final Cut?

So most people here strongly recommend Vegas over Premiere. And no one's voting for Final Cut?

I'm just a Premiere dabbler myself, with 1.5. After buying the XHA1, I was either going to upgrade my PC and move to PP2.0 or buy a new MacPro and Final Cut. I've never used Vegas before, yet that's the favorite here?
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Joyce View Post
So most people here strongly recommend Vegas over Premiere. And no one's voting for Final Cut?

I'm just a Premiere dabbler myself, with 1.5. After buying the XHA1, I was either going to upgrade my PC and move to PP2.0 or buy a new MacPro and Final Cut. I've never used Vegas before, yet that's the favorite here?
Well it is a question I am asking myself. I am new to video so I bought PP2 because I use photoshop a lot and thought it may help. After purchasing and reading these forums I found that I also had to purchase Cineform Aspect HD in order to make scene select work, this adds $400 to the price. There also seemd to be issues with the down converting capabliities of the Adobe Media Encoder in PP2, which meant purchasing other software, creating further steps in the process.

As such I have downloaded the 30 trial of Vegas Production Studio + DVDA and have found that is fairly easy to work with. I am hoping that I can get a simple, high quality work flow, without having to many software add ons.

By the time the Vegas 30 days trial is over, I hope to have myself an answer!!!

Good luck.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #29
Major Player

Vegas user since version 2.0. I have never used others such as Avid or Pinnicle etc. All of them have their issues, all of them have their benifits...vegas fits me because it does a lot for a little $$! The current version 7.0d seems to work well with all the video formats from the A1. It's improved m2t handling lets me work on the raw mpeg video on my AMD Athlon 4000+ processor quite well. I have been a little dissapointed with the lack of video preview using Boris FX/Graffitti with the Vegas environment but it is still workable. It supports HDV well and all of Canon's formats.

Try before you buy with Vegas to see if it is a suitable option. For the money I have nothing but good things to say!
James Hooey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders