XH A1 Head Cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1 Head Cleaning

Hi,

I thought I should have a head cleaning tape. The only one at the local store was a TDK MiniDV Head Cleaner (TDK CLDVMEA). It has no mention of being a 'wet' or 'dry' type and TDK web site is no better.

Anyone know if this cleaning tape is OK with XH A1?

Additionally, it is write protected and says to use in play mode.

Does play mode clean both record and playback heads? I had heard on another thread that there are two seperate heads - record and playback.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It should be okay to use; brand really doesn't matter with a head cleaner. Five or six seconds is all; no more than that. Play in VCR mode. It'll get the job done.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Garvey View Post
Does play mode clean both record and playback heads? I had heard on another thread that there are two seperate heads - record and playback.
Yes, the heads are on the rotating drum and the cleaning tape moves against the drum, just like normal recoding tape, same path for both record and play.

I believe that you will find that Canon MiniDV has two heads on opposite sides of the drum (1/2 turn away from each other). They are dual purpose, for record or play depending on the mode you are using.
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

dry or wet?

I was wondering the same thing because the A1 manual explicitly says to use "dry" cleaning tapes only. I have a sony DVM12CLD mini dv cleaning tape but it also doesn't say on the package if it is dry or wet, and i cant find any info on sony's site or anywhere else. Does anybody know of a good dry cleaning tape?
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Bickford View Post
I was wondering the same thing because the A1 manual explicitly says to use "dry" cleaning tapes only. I have a sony DVM12CLD mini dv cleaning tape but it also doesn't say on the package if it is dry or wet, and i cant find any info on sony's site or anywhere else. Does anybody know of a good dry cleaning tape?
They mean NOT to use any commercially available cleaning prodcut that uses a "wet" cleaning process, meaning to NOT use any liquid based product that you place a few drops on the cleaners "tape" (which is usually kind of cloth based & not actual tape).

Back in the day, these were common in the VHS/Betamax market. Most if not all would gummy up your heads no matter what they claimed. I've yet to see a similar product crop up regarding miniDV.

Just use a name brand mini cleaning tape & you should be fine.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill,

That clears up the confusion.

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Adding to the original question

I just got a few A1s and have a related head cleaning question. How often should you clean them. If you wait till you start getting drop outs you will be screwed since dropout in HDV are much worse than SD land. When is it time. I don't want to clean them too often and shorten their lives.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
I just got a few A1s and have a related head cleaning question. How often should you clean them. If you wait till you start getting drop outs you will be screwed since dropout in HDV are much worse than SD land. When is it time. I don't want to clean them too often and shorten their lives.
Well to quote from the manaul on page 144 ... 'Frequently'!.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Duh....of course frequently. But how frequently....just wondering if anyone has a feel for it. A friend who used to own GL2s cleaned his heads before every wedding and wore out the cams in just a year or two. I don't want to go down that road....I just don't want to wait for dropouts to clean them cause then it's too late.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Major Player

The frequency really depends on the environment in which you shoot as well as the number of hrs. For example - I shoot motorcycle videos and am constantly out at the track or on open roads with wind blowing up dirt and debris. I run my cleaner for 6-8 seconds about every 3-4 tapes under these conditions. Indoor shooting I clean about every 10-15 tapes

The heads on my DVX lasted 1400 hrs at the rate
Jim Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders