DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   quick release mount for XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/89038-quick-release-mount-xha1.html)

Jim Froom March 15th, 2007 08:30 PM

quick release mount for XHA1

I have a new Canon XH A1 and am looking for some advice on a solution for a quick release mount for the following:

1. fluid head Viton Vision 3
2. Monopod
3. Tiffen Steady Stick.

I'd like to be quickly be able to switch the camera between these 3 devices. I'd also like to find something that works but doesn't break the bank.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bill Busby March 15th, 2007 10:47 PM

I doubt you're going to be able to find just one item that's going to be compatible with all 3 devices, but if you do, let us know :)

I found out today that the Canon TA-100 tripod adapter is screwed to the bottom of the A1 with FOUR straighthead screws! I was thinking about getting one until I saw that. It makes for switching to a monopod's head too time consuming.

Good luck,
Bill

Piotr Wozniacki March 16th, 2007 01:45 AM

Guys, I've sked this question before but got no answer: what the TA-100 adaptor is really for? I mean, you can attach any tripod plate directly to the A1, so? TIA!

Bill Busby March 16th, 2007 01:55 AM

Piotr, I wish. But it's Canon's own tripod plate (just like you would use with any broadcast cam), except with the Canon's, it's 2 pieces. You have to use the small piece attached to the bottom of the A1 (4 screws) & it mates with the actual tripod plate for a secure lock.

There's a photo on the B&H site.

Bill

Jay Fisk March 16th, 2007 03:59 AM

Quick Release Logic

I leave a Bogen 3157 quick release plate on the XH-A1 at all times - It snaps into the Bogen 3299 quick disconnect mounted onto tripod.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...100&itemid=315

For the top of a monopod or the FigRig I use a Bogen 3229 which has a simple tilt adjustment and the accepts the same 3157 baseplate on the camera:

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...hp3?itemid=308

After various articulated Noga's (Israeli Arms) on the Marshall, I decided to make a fixed offset bracket that puts the monitor just to the left of the lens. Marshall has the same 3157 as the camera and snaps into a 3299 quick disconnect on the left end of the arm. The right end of the arm has 3299 on top with a 3157 below it, kind of a sandwich pack.

It just sounds complicated, but it's really easy in the field and relatively inexpensive.

Bill Doyle March 16th, 2007 07:12 AM

Jim,

I feel your pain. I have a Gitzo G2180 head and the Steady Stick and was hoping my ignorance just meant I'd have to post to get the answer to this. I'm going to have to put my faith in all the talented people out there to come up with a simple solution.

Jim Froom March 16th, 2007 03:37 PM

quick release

Anybody have one of these?

Bogen / Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter with 3272 Plate

If I can attach the bottom plate to each of my 3 devices, this would probably work as the plate attaches with a 1/4 tread screw.

These little buggers are $44 (dollars) each so, for 3 devices, they are a little pricey. However, if I could turn them upside down, one could buy 1 of these and 2 extra plates.

Maybe it's time to think about making something. This isn't rocket science. I'm sort of surprised that these aren't readily available out there.

....or maybe they are and we just aren't smart enough to know where to look.

Bogdan Tyburczy March 16th, 2007 03:54 PM

The 3273 base has both 1/4" and 3/8" threads so should attach easily to any tripod. I use two of them in custom-made rigs. They are strong and versatile.

Tim Le March 17th, 2007 10:11 AM

Here's a list of all sorts of quick release assemblies. Just make sure you get one that has an alignment pin for video cameras and that the release lever is far enough out beyond the camera that you can manipulate it. Jay seems to have no problems with the 3157, which is a very small QR assembly, so probably many of these would work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=4926

Sort the price from low to high. There are some pretty inexpensive options like this one at $25 (although I'm not sure if it's plastic or metal):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Bill Pryor March 17th, 2007 10:24 AM

I got the Canon quick release plate because it has standard 3/8" threads so I can use the camera with tripods like our Gitzo. The threaded socket in the camera base plate is only 1/4", so in my opinion the quick release is necessary. All you have to do to switch devices is remove the tripod plate from the bottom of the quick release and screw on the plate for whatever other device you are using.

Chris let me know about the availability of this plate some time ago, otherwise I might not have bought a small camcorder. I got burned on location with an XL2 when I showed up with an O'Connor 50 with a jib mounted on it and the whole thing on a dolly. When I went to mount the camera I discovered it only had the small 1/4" threads. I was really surprised that a camera that heavy would do that. An XL2 gaffertaped to an O'Connor 50 head out on the end of a jib is not a pretty site, but I got the shot.

There are two things in the video world that should be banned, in my opinion: 1/4" mounting threads, and miniplugs. The 1/4" threads are for still cameras, and mini plugs are some kind of a fascist plot against sound recording.

Bill Busby March 17th, 2007 01:49 PM

Sorry for my earlier post. I wasn't even aware of all the options. Looks like a couple of the Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter with 3272 Plate might just be what I'm looking for as well.

Bill

Dan Wilder March 17th, 2007 08:50 PM

I've been using the 3273/3272 QR for a while with a pair of DVXs. It works great for going between a tripod, monopod, and a DVrig Pro. The camera plate is long so you can easily balance the camera on the tripod head. The only problem with the A1 is that the bottom of the camera is not completely flat (why?) and so that one end of the plate is unsupported which can potentially stress the screw socket. Currently I have a piece of thick double-stick tape filling the gap.
-Dan

Jim Froom March 18th, 2007 08:48 AM

Dan Wilder wrote I've been using the 3273/3272" "It works great for going between a tripod, monopod, and a DVrig Pro"

Thanks Dan, you seem to have given me what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone else for your thoughts and links.

Before Dan's post, I had come to the conclusion that something like the 3273/3272 combo was probably desirable even though I didn't want to spend $120-$130 dollars to buy 3 of them. It even appears that they include both a 3/8 and 1/4 inch mounting screws.

I had looked at the less expensive quick releases but they are smaller units and I'm not interested in having something that small on the bottom of my camera as it never sits properly when not mounted. I always thought of those mainly for my 35mm camera and never wanted that type for a video camera other than the smaller hand held video camera. Some would probably work, but not in the way I would like.

The longer plates seem to be a better idea even though they are a few bucks more. I think it's time to bite the bullet and spend the money and buy 3 of the bogen/manfrotto 3273/3272 quick release plates.

Thanks all.

Ken Nelson March 21st, 2007 03:23 PM

Bogen/Manfrotto Quick Release for XH-A1

I purchased a Manfrotto 501 Head and have added a number of Bogen/Manfrotto 577QR plates to my other tripods, window mount, monopod and table top tripods. Each 577 comes with a base and a mounting plate. The work great and not all devices use the same mount.

Ken...