Exposure Shift at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Exposure Shift

Did I miss something? I've only just realized that the only exposure shift controls are in the menu(?!) and not on the camera. (I normally work under controlled lighting so this isn't something I've noticed until now)

Previously working outdoors I've used auto exposure on Sony FX1 to cope with changing light, but had the option to crank the exposure up or down with the exposure/iris wheel if the camera was doing something stupid.

Canon's blind commitment to using the same programme settings across their still cameras and video cameras is somewhat bemusing. Who the hell in their right mind is ever going to use Av on a video camera? You can't have the shutter speed ramping up and down in the middle of a shot!

Is there any way of compensating for camera auto exposure anomolies whilst still keeping it in auto?
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

are u saying there is NO manual overide if running auto anything?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
Is there any way of compensating for camera auto exposure anomolies whilst still keeping it in auto?
Alex, I was irked with Canon's decision to put the AE shift in the menu as well. DUH!

The only thing I can suggest is getting used to using the Exposure Lock function on the occasion when you might need it.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
I've only just realized that the only exposure shift controls are in the menu(?!) and not on the camera.
This is the reason why there's a request to "move the AE Shift function from menu to iris ring" in our XH Firmware Upgrade Wishlist Poll.

Quote:
Who the hell in their right mind is ever going to use Av on a video camera? You can't have the shutter speed ramping up and down in the middle of a shot!
Agreed. It's a holdover from their still camera line. I've always thought that Av mode was pretty much useless, except perhaps for some limited depth-of-field control.

Quote:
Tv mode + Exp. Lock is the ideal operating mode for the camera. It's the best way to shoot, with shutter speed locked, and instant switching between manual and auto exposure using the Exposure Lock button.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
This is the reason why there's a request to "move the AE Shift function from menu to iris ring" in our XH Firmware Upgrade Wishlist Poll.
Ah yes, indeed! I think at the time I didn't quite understand what that option was about - I had made the assumption that this was about changing the AE shift from the shutter wheel to the iris - however I can see the word "menu" is quite clearly written there, so I guess I should read things properly and not make assumptions! :-D
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

"This is the reason why there's a request to "move the AE Shift function from menu to iris ring" in our XH Firmware Upgrade Wishlist Poll"

- and that's one of the best ideas on the list. I hope Canon listens.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post

Tv mode + Exp. Lock is the ideal operating mode for the camera.
Uhh, excuse my visceral reaction to this statement but manual mode is the most ideal, lol.

:)
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Tyburczy View Post
"This is the reason why there's a request to "move the AE Shift function from menu to iris ring" in our XH Firmware Upgrade Wishlist Poll"

- and that's one of the best ideas on the list. I hope Canon listens.
God yes! It seems to me that Canon were a little more interested in maintaining "corporate" consistancy than thinking "out of the box" (or even trying to design the best user experience) when it comes to the "UI design".

It's a fantastic camera, but there are one or two little things that are a bit like having a (metaphorical) finger cut off because you have to dip into the menu.

Of course it may be mostly because they used the H1 as their base.

Perhaps camera manufacturers should have open-source firmware?
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
Uhh, excuse my visceral reaction to this statement but manual mode is the most ideal, lol.

:)
Of course, but just like being able to hit the AF button whilst in manual focus, working in Tv with EXP LOCK gives you a sort of (back-to-front) AE button.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #10
Disjecta

I realize the context of the statement but I just couldn't resist :)
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Inner Circle

curious... is there a way you can swap the shutter dial to become an iris wheel (ala DVX)? next to the exposure lock i mean...

that shooting mode wheel is such a waste of space IMO... so much more could have been put there, such as extra custom keys, custom preset dial...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I realize the context of the statement but I just couldn't resist :)
Ha! Ha! You're such a trouble maker Steven ;-)
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
that shooting mode wheel is such a waste of space IMO... so much more could have been put there, such as extra custom keys, custom preset dial...
Yes. Commitment to corporate image over function...
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
manual mode is the most ideal, lol.
Ha! But that's exactly what Tv + Exp. Lock is... manual mode!

It's the exact same functionality of M mode, with the advantage of having the ability to go to auto iris with the push of a button... something you can't do in M mode.

An experienced shooter like Steven would probably never choose to shoot in auto iris, but as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks... some people want and need that capability, so for them, Tv + Exp. Lock is a better way to shoot than Manual (because it's identical to Manual, with the advantage of AE if you need it).

We get a lot of new people coming through here who don't have much experience with video, so I make it a point to urge them to shoot in Auto settings at first. The camera does an adequate job in Auto. A new shooter should let the camera take care of those settings, and concentrate instead on the far more important aspects of framing and composition, and developing an eye. Then once they've accomplished that, graduate to the technical part of the photography.

The advantage of the power mode dial on the XL and XH cameras is that you can turn it on into whatever shooting mode you want.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #15
Major Player

And, of course, there are auto-iris buttons on the lenses of full size cameras. Back in the days of working in broadcast TV I was never shy about getting the camera to give me a hand with exposure when I thought it was appropriate.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders