Macbook Pro FCE and A1 - good combo? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Waterman View Post
I had issues with getting FCE to see the XH-A1. In fact, my understanding is that it is not supported, or at least was not in February. I went to FCP and it imports beautifully off of the XH-A1.

If I am incorrect, please advise, as they may have corrected it in FCE since I tried last.
Does anyone know if this has been corrected by now? I have FCE HD and thinking of getting the A1, but not if it's not supported.

It's a bummer that FCE doesn't do 24f/25f. Why wouldn't it? I can't plop down the $1,200 for FC Studio right now.
Nelson Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:41 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Cole View Post
Does anyone know if this has been corrected by now? I have FCE HD and thinking of getting the A1, but not if it's not supported.

It's a bummer that FCE doesn't do 24f/25f. Why wouldn't it? I can't plop down the $1,200 for FC Studio right now.

qualify as an educational discount and its 699 for FCStudio 2.....a little off topic but its a damn good price
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:

FCE does 25F... We use FCE with the A1 for rough-cuts (in 25F - I don't know about 24F)
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Any body else using FC Express and an Canon XH A1 for HDV?

Any glitches or quirks, or is it full steam ahead?
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:

I do own FCE (v3.5.1, the latest version) and an XH A1. I can confirm 24p does not work. I do use the 1080i60 settings which work fine with 30p footage. (I don't really understand why, but it does in fact work).
And I'm in the same boat like you - I wish it supported 24f.

Dino

EDIT: I assume Alex is using the 1080i50 settings for working with 25f, right? That would be the same like me using 30f in the 60i timeline.

Last edited by Dino Leone; April 24th, 2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Leone View Post
EDIT: I assume Alex is using the 1080i50 settings for working with 25f, right? That would be the same like me using 30f in the 60i timeline.
You're absolutely correct. The 1080i50 option treats 25F as if it was 25psf. We haven't had any problems at all, and it looks identical to 25F edited on our FCP system.
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #22
Regular Crew

25psf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
You're absolutely correct. The 1080i50 option treats 25F as if it was 25psf. We haven't had any problems at all, and it looks identical to 25F edited on our FCP system.
That sounds great - but what is 25psf?

Did you have any problem connecting the camera to the computer?

Thanks Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #23
Major Player

"psf" means progressive segmented frame... basically it means a progressive image in an interlaced stream.

To all intents-and-purposes it can also be considered progressive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders