Internet pricing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Internet pricing

hey i have looked for the XHA1 all over the internet. On ebay they show for 3k+. you press that part # into google you see them as low as 999.00

so why is prcing all over the wall for this sick camcorder?
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Contributor

There is something very wrong with that price. If a price is too good to be true, then it's too good to be true. The camera is either stolen, defective, used, or it's a total scam. If you want to risk a thousand bucks, go right ahead--you won't be the first person to get screwed by the unscrupulous.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
There is something very wrong with that price. If a price is too good to be true, then it's too good to be true. The camera is either stolen, defective, used, or it's a total scam. If you want to risk a thousand bucks, go right ahead--you won't be the first person to get screwed by the unscrupulous.
Thats what i figured, but some of these sites seem totally legit.. just type the # into google and see what you find.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Contributor

They always seem totally legitimate. Anybody can do a nice website. You are NOT going to get a $3500 camera for $1,000 anywhere in a deal that is legitimate.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hagest View Post
Thats what i figured, but some of these sites seem totally legit.. just type the # into google and see what you find.
so i called the people who have them for 999.. they say they buy direct from Canon, but the camcorder is on back order for 2-3wks... hmmmmm.. ....
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Major Player

There is no way anyone would sell a real US version for 999. Ask yourself this: If everyone else is charging around 3.5k for it, how can this company sell it to me for 1k and actually be profitable for themselves and for canon? There's no way anyone could sell it for that and actually make money and what business doesn't want to make money?
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
There is no way anyone would sell a real US version for 999. Ask yourself this: If everyone else is charging around 3.5k for it, how can this company sell it to me for 1k and actually be profitable for themselves and for canon? There's no way anyone could sell it for that and actually make money and what business doesn't want to make money?
well my question now is... so what about the guys selling this camcorder for 1700-1900... should i trust them?? i want to get one, and i feel i can sell my gl2, and put a couple of hundred dollars towards a hd cam and be good.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Major Player

NOOO!
Firstly, you should only buy a new cam from an authorized dealer.
Many will tell you that they are, but only the manufacturer will
give you the truth.

There's a lot of scam photo/vid suppliers out there. You need to be really careful. You'll wind up with refurbs, used crap, floor models, no warranty,
and really annoying upsell a-holes.

Any super low price is fake and just a bait and switch tactic. They will try and get you to buy third-party batts, crap filters, plastic tripods, 5 year warranty, and if you don't..they hang up on you at best.. at worst, they will charge your card and never send anything.

I only buy from B&H, Adorama, J&R, a few of the sponsors here and really sweet ebay deals ( used stuff from people with solid feedback)

Last edited by Eric Weiss; March 28th, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Contributor

My basic rule is that if anybody is more than 5-10% lower than B&H, then you should suspect foul play.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You can check out most any camera dealer at reseller ratings .com If they are not listed you would be taking a really big chance with your money.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The purchase transaction goes like this with the "low price" deals:

1. You order

2. They call to confirm.

3. "Do you want a lens? " Zoom will be extra, Oh, you're not aware that this was body only? (Nevermind mind that camera has fixed/attached lens.)

4. Do you want battery ?. Charger ? Manufacturer warranty ? Strap ?. Lens hood ??. Box ? Manual ? Tape transport ?

5. Shipping $300.00.

6. Don't want those things, camera is not available. ...
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Wrangler

Please favor our sponsors with your business whenever possible. They make our site possible and have been screened for integrity, service and competitive prices. The full list is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/

Beyond this, just use some common sense. It's an old but true cliche... there's no such thing as a free lunch. And there's another old saying which also applies... "a fool and his money are soon parted".
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

For Matt Hagest, this thread was closed because we refer *all* where-to-buy questions exclusively to our trusted site sponsors.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders