DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Free Tape Offer Ending (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/90287-free-tape-offer-ending.html)

Don Palomaki March 30th, 2007 04:31 AM

Free Tape Offer Ending

A reminder that Sony's offer of five free Master tapes with purchase of a new HDV camcorder, including the Canopn AI, G1, or H1, expires March 31, 2007.

The link is:
https://www.hi5mer.com/merlin/sonyhi...get&style=home

Cal Bickford March 31st, 2007 06:36 PM

this would be a nice deal....if it wouldn't give me an error message everytime it try to register, and if sony would reply to my emails : )

Glenn Davidson March 31st, 2007 08:05 PM

The March issue of DV magazine has a full page ad that promotes a 5 tape offer with the purchase of a Sony DVCAM deck. I took them up and ordered one from B&H. The link in the advertisment has no information about the offer. I called the Rebate processing center and they have no idea about the offer being advertised. Email has not been returned.

I emailed the editor in chief at DV magazine and his response was "Yikes!...Stay tuned, I will find out what is what"

I have spend a couple of hours trying to get my tapes. Sony makes some cool stuff, but they seem a bit disorganized.

'Stay Tuned'!

Don Palomaki April 1st, 2007 07:11 AM

I had no problem registering. There could be an issue with AV software, browser, proxy server, or firewall settings.

Josh Laronge April 1st, 2007 08:22 AM

If you want the free tapes don't buy from B+H

I bought an XHA1 from B+H (which is a great place to deal with), filled out the online rebate form on the Sony site:

I sent in the receipt and all the information that was asked for. My claim was rejected because B+H does not print the serial number of the camera on the receipt. I spoke to Sony six times, faxed warranty cards and was told my claim would be considered. That was over a month ago, still no tapes. At this point it's not worth the effort to keep calling them for 5 tapes. Instead I'll keep Sony's bait and switch offer in mind when choosing the tapes I use.

Geoff Dills April 1st, 2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Laronge (Post 652229)
I bought an XHA1 from B+H (which is a great place to deal with), filled out the online rebate form on the Sony site:

I sent in the receipt and all the information that was asked for. My claim was rejected because B+H does not print the serial number of the camera on the receipt. I spoke to Sony six times, faxed warranty cards and was told my claim would be considered. That was over a month ago, still no tapes. At this point it's not worth the effort to keep calling them for 5 tapes. Instead I'll keep Sony's bait and switch offer in mind when choosing the tapes I use.

Which receipt did you use? The receipt emailed me did NOT have the number, but the one that came packed with the camera DOES have the serial number. My initial request was done email and I used the wrong receipt (the one emailed), but once I mailed the copy of the original receipt with the serial number I got my tapes in a couple weeks.

Bill Busby April 1st, 2007 12:03 PM

There's something funky going on with this rebate biz. I too originally had problems trying to register on their site. Trying to send image files of the receipt (for 2 XH-A1's) would give errors after trying several times. Then I tried faxing all info and got line errors. I ended up mailing via certified mail with return receipt all required docs, which they received. On the site I get:

"Status: Rejected
Reason: Model number does not match backup received"

I checked to make sure both serial numbers were correct. What a crock! It's ok though, I'm not going to twist their arm for free tape that I'm not going to buy anyway :) It's just not worth the hassle.

Bill

Jeff Rhode April 1st, 2007 03:25 PM

I was amazed to see that my tapes came last week !
After all the problems I have read about I thought I would not get them.

Steve Wolla April 2nd, 2007 12:08 AM

The paperwork from Sony also said that all requests for the free tapes had to be in by April 30, for cams bought up to March 31. So if you bought last month you have to end of April to submit your claim.

Josh Laronge April 2nd, 2007 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Dills (Post 652306)
Which receipt did you use? The receipt emailed me did NOT have the number, but the one that came packed with the camera DOES have the serial number. My initial request was done email and I used the wrong receipt (the one emailed), but once I mailed the copy of the original receipt with the serial number I got my tapes in a couple weeks.

I had faxed the B+H receipt with the serial number on it along with the warranty card and the online receipt. I have called the phone number on the site and have spoken to Kelly 3 times who told me they did receive my fax and everything was ok. After not receiving the tapes and continuing to see rejected on the website, I called again and spoke to Steve. Steve told me would forward my request onto Terry Lawn who is the head of the program. I got a call back from Steve saying my request was approved. That was at least six weeks ago, still no tapes. It seems I'm not the only who whose had problems with this rebate.

Dick Graham April 5th, 2007 07:09 AM

I also had trouble getting tapes. Kept getting bounced for incorrect serial number. Found that the number on the B&H receipt had too many characters! Used the number on the camera and got registered. Then had to call Sony to get an email address to send a jpeg photo of my receipt. Took a long time to get all required info into their system. About three weeks after submitting the info the tapes arrived. Two weeks after the tapes came I received a free Sony "Hi5" tee shirt and mouse pad!

Lou Bruno April 5th, 2007 10:11 AM

I gave up too!! They lost my paperwork. Then when I re-submitted they said that it didn't match the original paperwork. HUH? They lost the original.

Then I had handwritten the serial# on the invoice and that was rejected too!!

Every twist and turn was a dead end. But I really won.

WHY?

So, Canon gained a well paying customer and SONY lost my business...4Ever.

Josh Laronge April 6th, 2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno (Post 654361)

So, Canon gained a well paying customer and SONY lost my business...4Ever.

Ditto!!! I now love Panny tapes!

Dave Stern April 6th, 2007 12:45 PM

I gave up a long time ago. system errors when I tried to put in all my info (actually, after I put in all my info..even worse)... and, it didn't say what was wrong, just a really vague error message. Tried a few times. mine was from B&H, so maybe the same problem w/ the length of the serial #'s. I gave up - was kind of stupid - if you're going to set something like that up, it should work.. if not, don't bother... nice idea, but execution looks bad on both sony's part and the fulfillment vendor's part too..

Don Palomaki April 6th, 2007 01:19 PM

But they did get your name, address, etc. for their mailing list.