Canon HV20 vs Canon XH-A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

OK, what is a good Quicktime conversion for HDV for the web? Or should I skip it and upload PNG or jpegs?
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Flesher View Post
The HV20 is great for those "real life" great quality shots and it is somewhat adjustable. But it still has a very home video feel even in the hands of a pro.
Ryan, not sure what you mean by that. I've shot and I've seen HV20 footage shot by others that looks extremely professional. In many lighting situations the A1 and HV20 will look very similar. So I'm not sure why you'd say the HV20 'still has a very home video feel'. I couldn't disagree more. Now if you mean how the camera 'feels' in the hands, then yes, I would agree. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling View Post
Technical stuff aside, (and clients could care less about tech really), I wouldn't earn any points if I spent half a day setting things up and then mounted either and HV10 or 20 on my tripod. On the other hand, nor would I drag my G1 into Disney park on the family vacation. The right tool for the job folks.
Bingo! Sometimes 'perception' is everything...even if we know better! :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #19
Regular Crew

sample images from HV20 and XH A1

This is an extreme shooting condition for the HV20. It is a jpeg from a ballet depicting the aurora. (One of those common Alaskan themes) I used the HV20 as a fixed wide stage shot and did the pan and zoom with the XH A1.

The XH A1 is much better at gathering light and has more detail. The HV20 was much darker until I set the gamma to .63 in FCP. I didn't do any other correction. In spotlight mode, the HV20 kept the gain at 0db. It won't take much to match the images, even thought there is a bit of what may be magenta shift on the XH A1.

I think you can easily use the XH A1 with the HV20 as a b-roll camera. I didn't have anyone question my use of it sitting beside my XH A1 while taping the ballet. Then again, maybe no one saw it sitting next to my XH A1 ;-)

Here is the URL to the XH A1, which is also in another thread.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1176189867
Attached Thumbnails
Canon HV20 vs Canon XH-A1-canon-hv20-spotlight.jpg  
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Major Player

Re: Canon HV20 vs Canon XH-A1

Just discovered the "spotlight" mode myself on the used HV20 I picked up for $250 as,a solid "b" camera to my JVC HD110. Anyone notice that even in "spotlight" mode (to defeat the auto gain) that the shutter sometims wanders below 1/48th in daylight for no perceptible reason?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders