Do Tapes Matter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
What specifically are you going to compare?
Thanks in advance-----Mike
When I said 'run some tests', I merely meant "try them out"... no experiments. I couldn't compare them to my PQ's because I haven't had a drop out with a PQ... so AMQ's could only turn out to be 'just as good' or worse (if I have a dropout with AMQs)
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I use Panny PQs. Half the price of AMQ, no dropouts yet.
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Is availability for you guys an issue? Because I surely haven't seen a lot of those Panasonic tapes. The hifi-stores here mostly carry either Fujitapes or the Sony miniDV tapes. Sometimes TDK too.

So I wondered if the European users all order their tapes in packs (and if so, what brand/type are they) or if they're more based on what's readily available everywhere (like the Sony miniDVs which you can even find in a medium-sized supermarket).

Glad to hear your take on this.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #19
New Boot

That issue with the big red "Eject the Cassette" warning in the A1 was repeated when the same tape was inserted into my XL1. It seems to just be a bad cassette - luck of the draw that it was the first one I tried.
Bradley Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lashmana View Post
So I wondered if the European users all order their tapes in packs (and if so, what brand/type are they) or if they're more based on what's readily available everywhere (like the Sony miniDVs which you can even find in a medium-sized supermarket).

Glad to hear your take on this.
Paul, I've used Sony Premium since I started with Canon XL2 2 years ago. Now I've upgraded the cam to XLH1, still using the Sony Premium tapes. Haven't experienced any issues (dropouts) more than a couple of times for more than 400 tapes.
I buy 100 tapes at once, gives me a nice discount!
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #21
Trustee

I've used and continue to use Fuji miniDV cassettes in all my camcorders, both sony and canon, including my new XH-G1. So does my local rental shop, they only use and recommend the Fuji's. As a last resort, I had to use panasonics in a two cam shoot, both XL1s (mine and a rental). Within two minutes BOTH cams jammed. Production was halted. I sacraficed a used Fuji from an obsolete project. However, my camera did not recover and required about $300 in warranty repairs (new parts and a gear), and about two weeks out. To this day, I keep an ample supply of Fuji's on the shelf, and will not shoot without them.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Ive always used cheap Sony Premiums (hundreds) with my PD150 and VX2000. Rarely had any dropouts.

Now ive just bought a Canon A1. The guy of the shop sold me a Sony Excellence (8 euros) to make some tests and after reading this thread perhaps i stick again to the Premiums (100 tapes make a difference).

Should it be a problem to change models (Excellence to Premium), but within the same brand (Sony)?

Thanks
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernan Vilchez View Post
Ive always used cheap Sony Premiums (hundreds) with my PD150 and VX2000. Rarely had any dropouts.

Now ive just bought a Canon A1. The guy of the shop sold me a Sony Excellence (8 euros) to make some tests and after reading this thread perhaps i stick again to the Premiums (100 tapes make a difference).

Should it be a problem to change models (Excellence to Premium), but within the same brand (Sony)?

Thanks
I don't think that would be a problem.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #24
New Boot

I am probably the only person in the world that admits using plain old cheap Maxell tape from StuffMArt. I had fewer problems with them in my GY-DV500 than any other tape. I'd rather stick with a tape I know I can find anywhere and anytime. But don't take my advice. Your mileage may vary.
Rob Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Rob,

That's the message! Good luck----Mike
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hatcher View Post
I am probably the only person in the world that admits using plain old cheap Maxell tape from StuffMArt. I had fewer problems with them in my GY-DV500 than any other tape. I'd rather stick with a tape I know I can find anywhere and anytime. But don't take my advice. Your mileage may vary.
I'll pipe in and say the same thing. I have a big supply of Maxell as well. I used them in my old GL2s and VX/PD cams. The only time I got dropouts I discovered that a problem was developing with the cam. Sometimes humidity caused problems....other than that the Maxell has been fine. They are easy to get at my local warehouse store.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #27
Major Player

Where is the best place to buy these panny AMQ tapes at the best price?
Reading this thread I'm seeing that one tape really doesn't appear better then others, everyones experience seems to vary. The clear message seems to be stick to one brand/type.
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #28
New Boot

Frame dropout causes sysncron loss

Due to tape error, if frames lost, the frame loss cases audio sync shift error in the captured mpg file. Any recommendation?

Last edited by George Szondy; April 15th, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
George Szondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I use three tapes in my A1.
For normal DV recordings I use the Sony Premium tapes.

For the HDV recordings I use the Sony HDV tapes.

But....for experimenting....testing....and other stuff I found a tape from JVC.
The DV63ME ProHD tape. It can be used for HDV/DV

The price difference is around 4-5 Euro's (per tape!) between the Sony and the JVC overhere.
Ten JVC tapes cost 74 Euro's. The Sony tapes are 40 Euro's per 3 or 55 per 5.

Do tapes mather ? Yes....but the price also...
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert Kracht View Post
I use three tapes in my A1.
For normal DV recordings I use the Sony Premium tapes.

For the HDV recordings I use the Sony HDV tapes.

But....for experimenting....testing....and other stuff I found a tape from JVC.
The DV63ME ProHD tape. It can be used for HDV/DV

The price difference is around 4-5 Euro's (per tape!) between the Sony and the JVC overhere.
Ten JVC tapes cost 74 Euro's. The Sony tapes are 40 Euro's per 3 or 55 per 5.

Do tapes mather ? Yes....but the price also...
Gert,

I'm curious, do you think it is wise to mix brands after reading what is posted here?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders