DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Spider Brace (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/90971-spider-brace.html)

Alain Mayo April 7th, 2007 06:41 PM

Spider Brace

Is anyone in here using it? I just order mine and i plan to use it witm my xh-a1 for weddings and birthdays. I need to know if you can hold just the left handle with left hand and with the right hand use the zoom and record botton. in other words be able to zoom while holding the spiderbrace with the left hand.

Bill Busby April 7th, 2007 08:50 PM

I have no idea, but I would think this post would belong elsewhere since this is basically for clips, etc.

Bill

Jonathan Gentry April 7th, 2007 09:21 PM

The answer is yes you can. However, I find the A1/G1 to be heavy and particularly very front heavy and these braces do little to releave the weight on your arms. I tripod as much as possible.

-Jonathan

Alain Mayo April 7th, 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry (Post 655997)
The answer is yes you can. However, I find the A1/G1 to be heavy and particularly very front heavy and these braces do little to releave the weight on your arms. I tripod as much as possible.

-Jonathan

I hate tripods. I just use it for vows in church after that I use my monopod. I Bought the spyderbrace for stadiness.

Alain Mayo April 7th, 2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Mayo (Post 656024)
I hate tripods. I just use it for vows in church after that I use my monopod. I Bought the spyderbrace for stadiness.

The moderator can feel free to move my post to the other forum. I din't realized this was the clips section

Kevin Shaw April 7th, 2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Mayo (Post 655937)
Is anyone in here using it? I just order mine and i plan to use it witm my xh-a1 for weddings and birthdays. I need to know if you can hold just the left handle with left hand and with the right hand use the zoom and record botton. in other words be able to zoom while holding the spiderbrace with the left hand.

I got one recently for use with my Sony FX1 and have used it at one event. Yes, you can steady it using just the left grip and this is more comfotable than other shoulder braces I've used in the past, because the grip is low enough to let your arm be somewhat relaxed. It's still hard to hold a camera steady for long periods of time but it's good for walking around.

Alain Mayo April 9th, 2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 656029)
I got one recently for use with my Sony FX1 and have used it at one event. Yes, you can steady it using just the left grip and this is more comfotable than other shoulder braces I've used in the past, because the grip is low enough to let your arm be somewhat relaxed. It's still hard to hold a camera steady for long periods of time but it's good for walking around.

Thanks. I got the spiderbrace today and all I can say is wow. It's very good for panning and for stadiness. I tried zooming while holding it and i had no problem, so I found the answer to my original question.

Bob Howard April 9th, 2007 06:45 PM

Ease of balance help

I added, via a velcro pocket attachment, the means of adding a weight to the back side (rear) of the 'spider'. What goes in the pocket varies depending on what's been added to the front end of the camera - wide angle lens, camera light, shotgun microphone, whatever. The now balanced rig eases the arm load and also smooths out camera movement (pans and tilts).

Stephen Eastwood September 30th, 2007 01:01 PM

Anyway to attach a steady stick to the spider brace? I think that would take teh load off, I am planning on buying both and giving it a try.