Protective Filters ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #1
New Boot

Protective Filters ?

What are your thoughts on putting a filter on an XH A1. Do you degrade the HD image at all? Do you just use the lens hood for protection. I don't do news gathering or anything, just camera bag to tripod and back again.
Scott Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Major Player

I just use the lens hood. I'm usually switching filters or just have a WA always attached. The UV thing for me, is more trouble than it's worth.

That may not be your case. If you are generally paranoid or will be filming around a lot of sharp, flying objects..protective glass may be a wise investment.

Canon makes a nice, basic 72mm set ( FS-72U Filter Set ) that will not degrade the image. I just use the polarizer and the case.

You can also take out a low cost insurance policy that will cover damage and theft on all of your gear.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Wrangler

I only use a filter if I need to modify the light entering the lens. The lens hood provides adequate physical protection for my purposes when shooting around adults acting like adults and kids who are behaving reasonably or at least predictably.

Any filter or additional galss, even good glass, has some effect on the light entering the lens. The quesiton is whether or not it falls within what is acceptable to your application.

The biggesdt issue for me with a protective UV is dust on it. The filter is far enough from the focal center of the lens that any dust on it can become apparent in the image, especially at small apertures and wide zoom settings.
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys. Both points well taken. I think I'll stick with the hood for now. If I was shooting news/photojournalism I would probably use the UV filter but for my purposes I think I'm ok.
Scott Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Call me old fashioned, but I always try to protect the front lens element with a high quality filter.
All it takes is one small accident to ruin a perfectly good lens.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91065

I think this says it all.
Ray Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

But what if i want to protect my expensive Canon wide angle converter?
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernan Vilchez View Post
But what if i want to protect my expensive Canon wide angle converter?
You need a really expensive UV filter. What's that 103mm?
Rob Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #9
Major Player

i don't think the canon wa is threaded at the front.
you'll need to use the lens hood or matte box.
i just ordered it today. i think it's 109mm in the front.

as soon as i can post attachments i will.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #10
New Boot

filter?

I say get a filter. You never know who's going to pick up your camera or what can happen to it. I highly recommend the Hoya super HMC.

Good point about dirt on the filter though! I definitely noticed I have to keep my filter a lot cleaner than any of my SLR filters. The camera is super sensitive to dirt on there.

Isaboythatbuildsaboat...Isaboythatsailsher Dave
Dave Mody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #11
New Boot

I keep a good quality filter on my lens (BW MRC series in my case). I do not use the WA converter, so I do not have the problem of having to remove and re-install the filter all the time.

I find that keeping the filter clean is easier (and safer) than trying to keep the front element of the lens clean.

The only time this setup gave me trouble was in a shooting situation with the sun almost directly in front of the camera, just above the frame when zoomed-in 75%. The rays of the sun would create an uneven "veil" in front of the lens, probably because the filter was only clean to the eye. But these are extreme shooting conditions!
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i just bought a pretty cheap ($50 canadian) tiffen uv filter with my A1.
no problems so far.. ill just keep my lens cleaning kit handy ;)
David Warren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders