Z1 Preset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Z1 Preset

Anyone come up with a preset that will allow A1 footage to sit happily alongside the Sony Z1 (in its out of the box setting)?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

i would also be highly interested in this.
i'm going to be trying to match them tomorrow so ill let you know what the results are i guess.
David Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David. This post has been strangely ignored on this forum. I'd have thought many people would have been interested in this issue, since the Z1 is such a widely used cam. A friend of mine has started shooting a doco and there's a good chance i'll get to finish it off with my A1. Also, a company i'm hustling for camera work have a Z1 so i want to be sure that i can match up my footage with theirs.
Let me know how you get on.
Dom
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
Thanks David. This post has been strangely ignored on this forum. I'd have thought many people would have been interested in this issue, since the Z1 is such a widely used cam. A friend of mine has started shooting a doco and there's a good chance i'll get to finish it off with my A1. Also, a company i'm hustling for camera work have a Z1 so i want to be sure that i can match up my footage with theirs.
Let me know how you get on.
Dom
Dom, it's not being ignored - I'm afraid it's simply beyond the A1's capabilities.
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Please check this: XH A1 match FX1

KNE L
BLK P
CGN 25
RGN -8
GGN 4
BGN 11
RBM 4
BRM -5
BGM 4

This the best match I got (manual WB Indoor). Please try and let me know If needs any changes.
Bora Yenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks bora!
ill try it in an hour or so when my friend arrives with the z1 ;)
it doesnt have to be perfect just has to be close enough so that i dont spend hours trying to correct it in post ;)

thanks again

edit: the rest of the values are default i assume? maybe you could post a file for future reference? thanks.
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #7
New Boot

I just shot a jazz festival last night and the presets I posted didn't match perfectly. I think Blue was too much. Please let me know If you find a closer match than mine. I think Red needs to be at least -6 and green 2 but don't know about the Blue. And yes the rest of the settings are default.
Bora Yenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

yeah it sorta turned out blueish greenish :(
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #9
New Boot

Z1 preset anyone?

Anyone come up with an XH-A1 preset that works well with Sony Z1 yet?

Cheers!

Steve
Steve Towle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

yeah my friend with the z1 is gone for the summer so i can't really work on making one right now.. but would really love to have one for when he gets back ;)
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Well i finally got to see the two camera's side by side. a Friend got married a few months ago and i volunteered to bring my XHA1 along. The grooms business partner has a Z1 and had it locked off for the actual ceremony bit and i went hand held with Varizoom shoulder mount. I only just got the tape from the Z1 which i put into a multiclip in FCP6 alongside the XHA1 stuff.
Both cams were in in 1080i and mine was set up in Steven Dempsey's vivid RGB setting.
They don't match up well together which is no big deal as my friends are very happy to have anything on tape. The Good news is that the A1 picture is far superior in every way to the Sony. The colours are beautiful (thanks Steve) and the picture crisp on the Canon. I wouldn't swap it for anything (outisde of an HVX200} and am very pleased with the choice i made.
Of course this doesn't address my original query about how to match these 2 cams but now its irrelevant anyway.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders