should I turn off OIS, at maximum telephoto, if my A1 is on a tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

should I turn off OIS, at maximum telephoto, if my A1 is on a tripod?

should I turn off OIS, at maximum telephoto, if my A1 is on a tripod?
thanks!
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

if u intend on panning then yes.. however if the A1 OIS is anything like the XL2, then youd still be safe as IMO the XL2 is king OF OIS. Its "floaty" therefore it doesnt jarr or try to "obviously" compensate when panning
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Wrangler

Depends on how sturdy and stable the tripod is, and perhaps a bit as to what you are shooting. With a very good tripod on a stable base you probably will do somewhat better with it off. Let your review of your tapes be your guide.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
New Boot

OIS on or off

I haven't tested with the OIS off, but I can vouch for the footage being a bit shakey when the OIS is on (and mounted on a tripod at max zoom). I'm definitely thinking I need to try the IS on the OFF position.

Also, I didn't notice the shake when I was shooting, but it's sure apparent on my TV/projector.

0) DaM
Dave Mody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Major Player

off.

..and if you will be on a tripod a lot, get the lanc remote.

exceptions of leaving the OIS on during tripod shoots would include
major wind, earthquakes, and any event or party with that "slammin'" guido bass.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

So is it best to leave it off most of the time?
Phil Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #7
Wrangler

If "most of the time" is nice and steady with no problematic vinbration. You have to understand the capabilities and limits of using OIS, and judge your specific shooting environment/circumstances at the time, and set OIS accordingly. On the average - OIS off when shooting from a tripod, but there are plenty of exceptions to the "average."
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #8
New Boot

I side with Don here. There is no universal truth. If you leave it off, you will see vibrations if your equipment and/or your technique are not significantly above average. If you turn it on, you are likely to see the picture "stick" a bit when you start panning. Both phenomenon are quite noticeable in the viewfinder or the LCD panel; experiment for yourself and pick the best compromise to fit your shooting conditions. If you have time, making a test recording using both settings and then reviewing the tape is even better.

In my case, using a Bogen / Manfrotto 503 head with a 523 LANC controller, I have gone back-and-forth as I have experienced both limitations.
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders