Choppy 24f. How can it be shot to look more fluid? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #31
Major Player

Personally i think the descriptions so far explains it best other than actually sampling some of the videos on this forum or elsewhere in 24P/fps. It's hard to explain other than describing the stutter some people notice and others don't really pick up on (some to greater extent than others). Your different shutter speeds will affect the motion blur etc.

For example, if you want good slow motion then 60i at a faster than standard shutter speed (1/120 or maybe 1/250)) would give a more fluid type of motion (almost no motion blur). But if you step up to a shutter speed of 1/500 and fasater then you will still get a clean look but you start to introduce another type of strobe like effect (which may or may not be what you want).

So the bottom line is 24fps/P will have a stutter (noticable to some and not necessarily to others) and shutter speeds can dictate how much blur you will have in the footage etc. Check out several of the different productions other users did on this site and that can help answer your question.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #32
Regular Crew

That's exactly what I'm noticing some type of stutter whe people move. Any solution to this? or that's just the way it is?.I'm sorry asking to much about it I just want to know if I make a documentary or a movie people won't complain of this stutter .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
Personally i think the descriptions so far explains it best other than actually sampling some of the videos on this forum or elsewhere in 24P/fps. It's hard to explain other than describing the stutter some people notice and others don't really pick up on (some to greater extent than others). Your different shutter speeds will affect the motion blur etc.

For example, if you want good slow motion then 60i at a faster than standard shutter speed (1/120 or maybe 1/250)) would give a more fluid type of motion (almost no motion blur). But if you step up to a shutter speed of 1/500 and fasater then you will still get a clean look but you start to introduce another type of strobe like effect (which may or may not be what you want).

So the bottom line is 24fps/P will have a stutter (noticable to some and not necessarily to others) and shutter speeds can dictate how much blur you will have in the footage etc. Check out several of the different productions other users did on this site and that can help answer your question.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #33
Regular Crew

It's really how you move the camera that makes the 24f or 24p
"stutter" less obvious.

I have 30 second spot that has both 24f @ 1/48 and 60i @ 1/250
converted to 24p. Email me if you want to see it.

griffithwb msha com
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gorski View Post
Has anyone shot 1080 30fps with a high shutter speed to get that action look?
Tell me where to post it or I'll email it.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #35
Contributor

It looks smooth to me. Just like any 24fps source. Fast horizontal motion will strobe a bit, just like film.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
It looks smooth to me. Just like any 24fps source. Fast horizontal motion will strobe a bit, just like film.

So do you think I'm doing something wrong if I see strobiness or sttuter in steady shots at 24f 1/48 ?
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders