Saving Images to an SD Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Saving Images to an SD Card

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help.....

When I save a still image to the SD card on my A1, I can put the card into my reader on my PC and easily view the JPEG.

But if I make any edits to the image (e.g brighten it etc) and save it back to the card, my A1 doesn't read the image.

Is there a way I can get my A1 to read the images I've resaved on to the SD card?

I've tried many things such as keeping the same file name, maintaining the resolution and bit settings and ensuring all other properties are the same but to no effect.....

Any ideas???

Thanks, Sunny
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Sunny. Sorry I can't help, hope someone else can. Just wanted to ask though - why do you want to use the camera to view jpeg images? It's not as if the LCD is so marvellous, so just wondering.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Richard,

When I'm filming at wedding receptions and events, my camera is often connected to a live feed onto projector screens. I'm intending to use the camera to display a holding image featuring my company logo and contact details which I can display on the projector screens during the intervals when I'm not filming.

I made such a JPEG file featuring my logo, details etc, and saved it with (what I assume are) the exact properties as an image taken on the Canon XHA1.

Hopefully the above makes sense!
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried that with my digital camera too - it doesn't work. They use a codec engrained in a chip, which is not available (to the consumer) in a software version.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Dhinsey View Post
Hi Richard,

When I'm filming at wedding receptions and events, my camera is often connected to a live feed onto projector screens. I'm intending to use the camera to display a holding image featuring my company logo and contact details which I can display on the projector screens during the intervals when I'm not filming.

I made such a JPEG file featuring my logo, details etc, and saved it with (what I assume are) the exact properties as an image taken on the Canon XHA1.

Hopefully the above makes sense!
OK thanks Sunny, that makes sense. So if the still projection works from an image created in-camera, maybe you could work around by taking a still shot (with the A1) of your computer screen with the company logo image on it?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Sunny,

Just a quick question...Do you rename your edited image, before placing it on your card?..I'm a digital camera tech, and have come across this MANY times..People edit and rename there images, which cant be reviewed by the camera they were taken with, because the camera doesn't recognise the name.
Something to try, rename the image as the original, but change the number...eg, IMG_0112.JPG (original) to IMG_0113.JPG (edited, or what ever 4 digit #) and see if that works..I know I should have tried it before posting, But I know this works with still cameras...If I'm wrong SORRY!
Ivan Barbarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Barbarich View Post
rename the image as the original, but change the number...eg, IMG_0112.JPG (original) to IMG_0113.JPG
This does work, A1 displays edited images OK in SD card playback mode.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
..... maybe you could work around by taking a still shot (with the A1) of your computer screen with the company logo image on it?

Richard
I did think about trying this but thought it might look a bit naff...

I'll try the latter suggestion of re-numbering the file. Currently when saving the edited image, I've been keeping the exact same file name and not renaming it.

I'll give it a go now and post the results.

Thanks all!
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It works!!!

For some reason, when I save it in Photoshop, the A1 doesn't recognise the image, but if I save it under the JPEG settings in MS Paint, the A1 can read and display the image just fine :-)

How strange....!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders