DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony Hi-5 Free Tape Promotion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/91818-sony-hi-5-free-tape-promotion.html)

Hugh Walton April 18th, 2007 04:31 PM

Sony Hi-5 Free Tape Promotion

I wanted to let anyone who is experiencing extreme frustration trying to claim their 5 free Sony DV tapes that I have finally succeeded in having my claim processed today. I first filed my claim over 8 weeks ago and have been ready to give up multiple times. For those of you who are still struggling I might have found the key to success.

1) I chose to email my invoice. I purchased my XH-A1 from J&R Computer World. I requested J&R send me an electronic version of my invoice. They did but unfortunately the camera's serial number was not on the receipt and no one at Sony Hi-5 told me that they will not accept the claim without the serial number being listed on the receipt. After about 8 weeks since my first submission Steve at Sony Hi-5 finally told me that the serial had to be on the invoice. Fortunately, J&R sent me a Microsoft Word version of the invoice, so all I needed to do was type in the serial number and send it in again. I also made sure to save the invoice as a pdf, otherwise Sony probably would not have accept it.

2) Once the correct invoice was received (I called to make sure Steve received it), I waited 2 days and then tried typing my camera's serial into the Sony Hi-5 web page one more time (www.sony.com/Hi5). Guess what? The page still said "Pending".

3) So I called right away and by some divine intervention was transfered to Mindy rather than Steve. Mindy seems to be the supervisor and the one I should have talked to 2 months ago. She knew exactly who I was and could not believe my claim was still pending. She took my phone number and by the end of the day my claim finally went through.

4) Now that I have been "Processed", according to the Sony Hi-5 website, I can only hope that they actually send me my 5 damn tapes.

If you are having the same trouble that I had call and ask for Mindy (888) 746-8326. Hopefully my horrible experience can help someone get their damn tapes.

Hugh

Paul Lashmana April 18th, 2007 05:36 PM

Poor Mindy's going to be inundated with unfulfilled tape-claims! :-)
Then a person does a good thing, and she gets to bear the suffering! :-)

Bill Busby April 18th, 2007 07:13 PM

I gave up long ago. There was nothing at all wrong with our invoice, the serial numbers for both XH-A1's were clearly on the invoice. That was back in December & the claim was refused!?

It's not worth my time or the headache to try & get this resolved. If this is the way Sony wants to play, they've lost my business & have already changed brands :)

This isn't brain surgery. The website wouldn't take the docs (some error or somesuch), their fax line gave line errors, tried several times. I ended up sending them certified snail mail, which were received & signed for. Still... "refused".

Totally unprofessional in my opinion.

Bill

Hugh Walton April 19th, 2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 662854)
I gave up long ago. There was nothing at all wrong with our invoice, the serial numbers for both XH-A1's were clearly on the invoice. That was back in December & the claim was refused!?

It's not worth my time or the headache to try & get this resolved. If this is the way Sony wants to play, they've lost my business & have already changed brands :)

This isn't brain surgery. The website wouldn't take the docs (some error or somesuch), their fax line gave line errors, tried several times. I ended up sending them certified snail mail, which were received & signed for. Still... "refused".

Totally unprofessional in my opinion.

Bill

I totally agree with you Bill that Sony has really dropped the ball on this one. At first I wanted to believe that the Sony Master tapes would out perform other brands, but their demonstration of incompetence makes me want to change back to Panasonic Master tapes. One thing is for sure, I am so glad that I purchased the Canon XH-A1 rather than the Sony V1U. If this free tape offer is any reflection of how Sony operates, I believe that I made the right choice.

Hugh

Bill Ball April 19th, 2007 07:19 AM

I received mine other day after a looong wait. I would say 8 weeks.

Doug Davis April 19th, 2007 08:44 AM

I finally received mine a couple months ago... I tried twice, the 1st time they left off a "0" on the serial number on the invoice... Corrected it... Finally got the tapes and shirt... I guess they are good tapes but I don't really notice any "real" difference in the operation... I will more than likely stick with a basic tape...

William Boehm April 19th, 2007 09:04 AM

i received my tapes after 5 weeks, and gave them to my son to use. i have used panasonic for years, and will continue to use their high quality tapes in the amq series. bill

Anthony Leong April 19th, 2007 08:46 PM

I give up too, because I sent Sony the invoice via email and for 2 months nothing. Then I asked the store where I bought my cam to please fax me a copy of the invoice and then I faxed it to Sony. Still I haven't gotten any free tapes.