Capture from HV20 (HDMI) or A1 FW/Component at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture from HV20 (HDMI) or A1 FW/Component

Any diference if using the HV20 to output a Mini DV (recorded with A1) via HDMI over using the A1's FW or component cables.
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Component vs Firewire --- go firewire lossless digital transfer. Component is a digital conversion to analog, then your computer capture will redigitize with probable loss of image quality.

I would think that HDMI vs Firewire is a wash as both are digital.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,
I thought that HDMI was in someway better than FW. I'm planning in getting the HV20 to use as a deck maybe next month.

Thanks,

Alexis
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe HDMI theoretically is supposed to be better than Firewire. Some people say that it is just hype and just the same as firewire but from what I understand when your project is recorded on tape, due to HDV standards, it is sent through firewire at 1440X1080 resolution with a 4:2:0 colorspace. With the HDMI output it can be captured @ 1980x1080 (uprezzed from the 1440x1080 on tape) resolution and supposedly give a 4:2:2 colorspace (I don't know if that colorspace statement is true or not but it's currently a hot toic on these boards). The other plus about HDMI is you can capture "live" thrugh the connection (via blackmagic to a computer) and get 1980x1080 resolution and 4:2:2 colorspace (still questionable) uncompressed or slightly compressed video (of course it would be captured to some sort of intermediary codec that would be slightly compressed but still retain much of the information so as to allow your computer to edit it). It does not matter how big and bad a computer is...it could not handle uncompressed video smoothly if at all.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So put simply;
If you've already recorded to tape the use firewire.
If you're recording live and have the capability then use HDMI as it can produce a proper 4:2:2 image - but you do need serious hardware to handle it.
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, It will be good if A1 users could share some actual capture experiences/workflow. For now I'll be capturing via FW as is the only actual option I have. Hopefully this summer I can get my hands wet with BlackMagic HDMI via HV-20, oh and better computer system.

Alexis
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Dean View Post
So put simply;
If you've already recorded to tape the use firewire.
If you're recording live and have the capability then use HDMI as it can produce a proper 4:2:2 image - but you do need serious hardware to handle it.
Also, It is probably best to note that the HDMI port was mainly to output the live or recorded image digitally to HDMI capable high definition TVs and monitors to produce the best viewing experience on these devices.

HDMI is a poor man's HD-SDI and doesn't have the advantages of the latter (10 bit and time code). I don't know much about Black Magic's intensity card, whether it takes HDMI to another level or not, but like mentioned above you aren't getting any better results capturing a recorded image with HDMI vs. Firewire. You're just going to use up a heck of a lot more hard disk space. Of course, I would still use the HV20 as the playback deck as you want to save the heads on the more expensive camcorder.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ian,
I want to add my thanks for
the clarity and simplicity of your explaination.
This board is a treasure trove of ideas and answers,
but your concise wording was a treat to read.

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post

HDMI is a poor man's HD-SDI and doesn't have the advantages of the latter (10 bit and time code)...
I've been led to believe that the G1 pads the last two bits with zeros, so it's actually 8-bit color, not 10-bit. Anyone know for sure?
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders