DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Finnaly a sunny day (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/92038-finnaly-sunny-day.html)

Alexis Vazquez April 21st, 2007 11:48 AM

Finnaly a sunny day

and since 5 days with the A1 today I'll be playing with it for the very first time. Woohooo! Don't you love first time's? Camera talking here :)
I think I'm going to the coast let's see what I see in my way there...

Cheers

Alexis

Alexis Vazquez April 21st, 2007 02:31 PM

The Sun must hate me... another rainy day...

Poppe Johansson April 21st, 2007 02:36 PM

Think positive! At least you'll have more time to learn the new camera before sunny shootings ;)

Trish Kerr April 21st, 2007 03:16 PM

on the issue of sunny shooting - I've been reading on the posts about keeping shutter speed constant if possible. But on big sun days is it still common practice to keep the shutter at for example 1/60.

I was down at the park playing with the manual settings yesterday in full sun and the shutter speed recommended on auto was 1/500.

What I do now is check with the exposure lock on the auto settings to see what the out of the box is doing, and then go from there. Can't remember who recommended it here.

Trish

Alexis Vazquez April 21st, 2007 03:23 PM

One thing I did noticed: Is not as easy as the XL2, at least for me. Maybe just because I'm so into the XL2 viewfinder that I can't see a thing in the Lcd. I guess is a matter of time and practice.

Too bad, I could have got a better shot of the girl in Red bikini... :) ufff

I need to practice more.

Alexis

Michael Padilla April 21st, 2007 05:30 PM

me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis Vazquez (Post 664739)
One thing I did noticed: Is not as easy as the XL2, at least for me. Maybe just because I'm so into the XL2 viewfinder that I can't see a thing in the Lcd. I guess is a matter of time and practice.

Too bad, I could have got a better shot of the girl in Red bikini... :) ufff

I need to practice more.

Alexis

I am in the same boat with you on this.. being a former XL2 owner I have really been missing the viewfinder and shoulder mount. So much so that I have been considering getting just one XL-H1 to go along with my other XH-A1's. Some things I have found on this forum however have helped.. Like buying a Z1's rubber evf mount ($50 - worth it); and getting a J-rod (although I am making my own version :) this is for a shotgun mic/accessory holder. Which will alow me to switch between shotgun and wireless lav.. with a switch like on the XL2.. say goodbye to menus.. I don't like menus.. which I was spoiled with the XL cam.

The stabilization is very tricky now.. especially if you plan to add a wide adapter to the front end. My recomend is getting either a flowpod/monopod and/or getting the DV Media Rig from VariZoom:
http://www.varizoom.com/products/sup...VMediaRig.html

Alexis Vazquez April 23rd, 2007 08:11 AM

Thanks guys for your advice,

Padilla,

I already ordered the eyepiece, I hope it help a little. I was planning in getting another A1 but now not so sure, I think I'm going with the H1 whenever price drops a bit. Hey my best friend is also Padilla from PR, where are you from?

Alexis

Michael Padilla April 23rd, 2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis Vazquez (Post 665625)
Thanks guys for your advice,

Padilla,

I already ordered the eyepiece, I hope it help a little. I was planning in getting another A1 but now not so sure, I think I'm going with the H1 whenever price drops a bit. Hey my best friend is also Padilla from PR, where are you from?

Alexis

I have actually been going by the name Neuman; but originally it was Padilla.. my father changed it when I was young.. got tired of people calling him pa-dill-a; instead of pa-dee-a. Oh we'll anyways were in SOCAL.
One thing I am happy about is the use of a handheld stabilizer with the A1 vs. needing a full steadicam rig. Which I have (also from Varizoom) that I love, but isn't absolutly nessasary with the A1.. which with my XL2's was perfect.