DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   looking for Canon XH G1 and SDI example (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/92195-looking-canon-xh-g1-sdi-example.html)

Mikael Westerstedt April 23rd, 2007 01:33 PM

looking for Canon XH G1 and SDI example

Does anyone have short movie/stills examples from G1 and made from SDI uncompressed.

Have one HV20 pal and thinking about G1 and a decklink card.

Chris Hurd April 23rd, 2007 01:50 PM

Uncompressed SDI output is 1.5 Gigabits per second. Surely you don't expect someone to upload a video clip that large to the web? Besides, the primary advantage of SDI output is not that it's uncompressed, but rather the freedom it allows to be captured as any one of a number of different SD and HD formats.

Curt Wrigley April 23rd, 2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 665881)
Uncompressed SDI output is 1.5 Gigabits per second. Surely you don't expect someone to upload a video clip that large to the web? Besides, the primary advantage of SDI output is not that it's uncompressed, but rather the freedom it allows to be captured as any one of a number of different SD and HD formats.

And; as I understand it would uncompressed played back from video already compressed to hdv on tape. So, I dont think you will see much if any difference in frame grabs vs hdv grabs. Unless you are capturing live?

Mikael Westerstedt April 23rd, 2007 02:43 PM

No was a little unclear. Movie clip that been processed and edit from SDI output.
or more how much easier it would be to handle in post than HDV compression.
less noise and so. I do know about the amount Gb to handle. I have started to build a portable raid with 2300 Watt Portable Generator for computer and a few lights. for this project i dont need sound so no problem with loud Generator . Have looked at some XL H1 clip that is probably from SDI.

Barlow Elton April 23rd, 2007 03:43 PM

Mikael,

Consider waiting for the new AJA I/O HD. I've captured real 4:2:2 uncompressed from an XL-H1, and even from the analog output of the XH-A1, and there are indeed advantages to this alternative acquisition method if you need the absolute best the camera's are capable of. There really isn't any difference in noise between HDV and SDI, but there is slightly perceptually better color rendition...however...when you have a real 4:2:2 acquisition it does give you a bit more latitude to really push the image in post.

If you're FCP based, the AJA will allow you to capture to a MacBook Pro laptop to the new ProRes codec via Firewire 800. You wouldn't even need a RAID, just and external FW drive or SATA drive. The I/O HD is a cool little box weighing about 7 lbs that has every kind of input and output, and will even cross convert to different HD standards on the fly. This means you can capture 1080i as 720 50p if you want for slow motion overcrank, or just to get out of the interlaced realm.

Just a few thoughts

Curt Wrigley April 23rd, 2007 04:22 PM

Barlow,

I am just transitioning to HDV myself. What benefits do you see from capturing "uncompressed" from an hdv tape, when you are just loading it into FCP's new ProRes codec (which is highly compressed hd) Would you not archive the exact same results loading hdv into FCP PRO RES Codec directly via firewire? PRO Res is just acting as an intermediate codec in FCP so FC does not have to deal with the mpg nature of hdv. Mush the way Cineform does in the PC world.

I am curious the benefits you see by capturing "uncompressed" from and HDV source to a compressed PROS RES codec. VS capturing hdv directly tp fcp pro res codec. The key being that unless you are recoding live, the video from your A1 is compressed hdv regardless what port you capture from.

Curt Wrigley

Ian G. Thompson April 23rd, 2007 05:18 PM

Curt, I believe he was talking about capturing live from the analog component output and not from the recorded tape..

Mike Gorski April 23rd, 2007 10:14 PM

Well when the the HD signal is sent to the tape, isn't it converted to 4:2:0 coloring and 1440X1080i resolution signal? Being able to recorded the image uncompressed at 4:2:2 at 1920 X1080 would be a serious advantage down the road to get maximum quality out of the camcorder with increased computer processing power with portability.

Curt Wrigley April 24th, 2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Gorski (Post 666180)
Well when the the HD signal is sent to the tape, isn't it converted to 4:2:0 coloring and 1440X1080i resolution signal? Being able to recorded the image uncompressed at 4:2:2 at 1920 X1080 would be a serious advantage down the road to get maximum quality out of the camcorder with increased computer processing power with portability.

Yes. But that only occurs if recording live. If you are playing back from tape, you are just capturing an "uncompressed" version of an HDV compressed video.

Mikael Westerstedt April 24th, 2007 01:40 PM

analog output of the XH-A1 from looks intrresting, but i using Pc.
could i have same quality with analog A1 as SDI with G1 then i would save lot of money.
of course i will record live.