lion monkeys at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Major Player

lion monkeys

Here is a tiny clip of the lion monkeys. The lighting looks fine on the mac, and seemed to be correct exposure during the filming. I'm hoping to put a little zoo montage together at some point.

http://www.northwitchproductions.com...monkeytest.wmv

I'm finding the video too dark on the pc. I've got a post over in the mac section asking for advice on how to deal with the different gamma settings on both platforms. And what to trust more for eventual dvd output.

So anybody viewing on the pc, apologies in advance.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks fine on my PC monitor but then again I'm not sure if this thing is calibrated correctly. is that footage shot on the standard canon lens? its really nice...

-Sam~!
Sam Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

looks absolutely fine here! i dont know if it was just me, but the underneath of the branch seemed odd colors, other than that, it was virbrant and "dark" per se, not too dark, but it didnt look overly bright, it looked right.
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Major Player

It was shot on the standard lens through a glass enclosure, zoomed in with a tripod. They might have been 6-8 feet away and are about the size of a hand. Really small.

I am really impressed with the zoom on the camera. I have shots of an orangutan mother and baby moving around an enclosure and they were at times 30+ feet away and the camera still captured them well.

Trish
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Looks fine to me. Of course I have a Mac monitor as well so I don't think my opinion counts. hehe. What are the settings you shot with?
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Major Player

It was shot 60i and kept the shutter speed at 1/60 for most of the footage. I had to go down to 1/30 a few times but I think the monkey shot section didn't need it.

manual, using steve's vividgrb preset. If gain was needed it would have been no more than 3 or 6. I adjusted as needed.

Trish
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Disjecta

Trish, looks to me like you might have been shooting in an artificially lit environment. Seems like you had the daylight white balance engaged and may have been shooting under a tungsten-based light? That would account for the orange cast (at least on my screen).
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Major Player

When I first went into the pavilions (big continent related installations housing a ton of exhibits) I switched over the white balance to indoor but it cast everything blue (I assume to compensate for normal indoor lights) so I avoided it after that as it looked closer to what it actually was in the viewfinder with outdoor setting on. Most of the pavilion sections used a mix of natural light and spots here and there on the darker glass enclosures.

This section I think had spot lighting with an orange cast. The monkeys are definitely on the orange end but the lighting was enhancing it. There was also harsh lighting coming in from above that I wasn't sure was part sunlight or not. (there were openings to the outside where the monkeys could run in and out of.)

The white balance I'm only starting to grabble with. Only recently taking it off auto. For better or worse.

In a case like this, is it better to still choose indoor? Or a different method with the temperature option.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders