Softie Recomendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Softie Recomendations

I went to B&H the other day and asked about wind protection for my Sennheiser ME66-K6 on my Canon XH-A1. I was shown the Rycote 18cm Medium Hole Softie ($110, model 033052) and the Lightwave MS-106 Miniscreen ($140, model MS106). Does anyone have a recommendation or other suggestions? Is it true that the foam windscreens do not protect enough for use outside (I was told this by the sales person at B&H)?

Thanks,
Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Hugh...

The Softie has a foam layer of some sort under that furry outer, tho' foam on it's own is pretty useless at reducing wind noise.

The Rycote Softie is good (for wind noise elimination) up to about 20 - 25 mph wind speeds, maybe a tad more. Anything over that really requires the full on Rycote Windjammer with zeppelin and "dead cat" overcover, tho' you're starting to get a bit on the pricey side with one of those. Can't help you with the Lightwave.

I used a "no name" dead cat cover over the foam covers on my XL1s stereo mic to very good effect for years. If you don't already have a foam cover for your ME66, I'd go for the Softie

(Does anybody make a foam cover for a ME66? Seems unlikely, but stranger things have happenned!)

Regards,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
(Does anybody make a foam cover for a ME66? Seems unlikely, but stranger things have happenned!)
Thanks so much for your advice. I think the Rycote sounds like it will be a good all around protector. I rarely tape outside, but when I do I wanted to have something to keep wind noise to a minimum.

To try and answer your question, when I was at B&H I was shown 2 foam protectors for the ME66. They were both made by Sennheiser. One was just plain foam ($40 approx.) and the other was foam covered in a layer of velour ($70 approx.). It seems like to pay $40 more for the Rycote and have proper protection is worth it.

Thanks again,
Hugh
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Major Player

check these out.. .can't vouch for the quality (I haven't used them) but may give you some options for use over existing foam, etc.:

http://www.professionalsound.com/Catalog/Koala.htm

they are made in australia
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Outside with a Rycote and Mk66

I shoot mostly outside with a Rycote and a MK66. First, foam alone is almost useless, maybe works in the 2-5 mph wind speeds. My guess is that you are lucky to get 10-15 mph with a Rycote and a MK66. For higher wind speeds either get a less directional mike or go to the full blown windjammer kind of rig. Shotguns seem to be very sensitive to wind noise.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Llewellyn View Post
I shoot mostly outside with a Rycote and a MK66. Rick
Is it easy to take the Rycote on and off the ME66? And thanks for your input. I think the Rycote sounds like the way to go for me.

Thanks again,
Hugh
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Found this site about how to build your own windscreen:
http://www.joelandkaren.com/mic-zeppelin/
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders