PC does not recognize my XH G1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
New Boot

PC does not recognize my XH G1

Hi

Got a Canon XH G1 but when I connect it to my PC, "Found New hardware" pops up and it asks for my windows XP disc. Trouble is, this didn't come with the PC. So now I have a spanking new HDV camera but am unable to connect it to my PC. Both my editing programs, Ulead Video Studio 10+ and Ulead Media Studio Pro 8 also fail to see my cam. Anyone else having any problems connecting the cam up to there PC???

Please help

Graham
Graham Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What kind of motherboard do you have (brand and typenumber)?
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM   #3
New Boot

I'll have to get back to you on that one - I'm in work at the moment but off at 10PM BST which would be 5pm EST, I guess. But thanks already for replying :-)
Graham Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Graham

Graham,

I've got UVS 10 + on my machine and it doesn't want to know about the XH A1 either. There is a patch on the Ulead web site that applies to the Canon HV10 but that doesn't (or didn't ) fix the problem.

Uleads response to this problem was, wait for it.............(I'm paraphrasing) "...stop trying to connect using the USB port on the camera (er, hello!), waffle waffle waffle waffle".

I gave up and bought Adobe Premier Elements 3 - works a treat, first time, every time.

Once you've captured you can use UVS for it's simplicity, but that's where it stops.

Regards,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Prepare (for it mentally) that you might have to try to reinstall your system if it's not the motherboard.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry Paul..

but if this was a motherboard/ operating system problem nothing would work. UVS 10+ works with my XL1s and my Panasonic 300 but steadfastly refuses to talk to my XH A1 in HD 50i mode. Can't say if it works with the A1 in SD mode as I don't shoot SD on the A1 (and I refuse to do Uleads work for them).

Adobe Premier Elements works with all three without a murmer. Ergo - it's a Ulead problem. Do wish APE did "split be scene on capture" tho'.

Regards,

Chris
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi again Graham........

A suggestion. There is a free 30 day trial of APE 3 available from the Adobe site. I suggest you download it, install and see if this cures your connection problem. If it works you definately have a Ulead problem (good luck!), if it doesn't, the problem lies elsewhere.

As a first step you might want to try: - Uninstalling Ulead and all of it's components.

Right click on your network icon (if you have broadband) and click "Disable"

Then, click on "Start", "Run" and key in "MSCONFIG". Hit "OK".

Go to the "Startup" tab. Click "Disable All", Hit "Apply"

The system will tell you it needs to restart. Do "OK". It will then restart and almost immediately come up with a box saying sommat like "you've messed with me". Hit "Cancel"

Now you have no Virus or any other software running from the Startup list.

Re - Install Ulead and all of it's components.

If it still doesn't work, well, you've given it your best shot.

To return your machine to normal: Go to Control Panel, Network Connections, right click on your diabled netlink (check which one is active BEFORE you disable it above) and click "Enable". Then do the Start, Run, Msconfig thing again and "Enable All" in the Startup tab. Re - boot the machine and all should be as it was.

I suggest you do the above before loading ANY heavy duty software, and in fact whilst running APV 3 or any other editing software it will make a significant difference. Do remember to disable your broadband tho' as your Virus etc software won't be running.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM   #8
New Boot

Canon A1 and Ulead MSP8

I came across this: I have the Canon XH A1 which is the "detuned" XH G1 and I can attest MSP's Video
Capture 8 can capture via the HDV plugin via Firewire 400.

Grant Nakamura
Apple Valley, MN

at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mug-sw/message/70708
John Arnold Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Trustee

See if this thread helps...

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...985#post585985
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Here's another one...

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93045
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #11
New Boot

Many thanks everyone - Finally got the ability to capture by installing Windows Vista - lost some other things along the way though but I'll get there. I just need another 1GB of RAM now!!! lol.
Graham Geraghty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders