Cost Effective BackPack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Cost Effective BackPack

I'm looking for a backpack that'll hold my A1 and get through airports as a carry-on. The typical offerings are crazy expensive.

I just need a backpack that'll hold it in a compartment.

I looked at the Tamrac photo backpacks but I'm not sure if they'll hold.

Has anyone found a no-name, or sub-$100 backpack that'll hold the A1 and some accessories???

Thanks.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Brent,

I just started a thread before you. I added some photo's of my new backpack.
Overhere the one I got costs around 129 Euro's. I believe that would be around 150 Dollars. But most products are far more expensive overhere, so I presume you can get a good deal on the Samsonite bag.

It has all the features of a good back pack. It can hold more than the A1 alone. Has inside and outside pockets. Two on the side (handy for cables) one at the outside (handy for everything). It also has soft stuff in all the sides, which does protect your expensive camera very good.

It also has a handle on top for just carrying it.
I added two photo's in the previous thread, called Samsonite 1 and 2.

Succes,

Gert
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am also looking for a backpack - don't want to get a bag. My situation is a tricky one. I want a backpack, because I want to be able to take the A1 with me hiking. I also want a backpack that I can take as a carry-on, as I am not about to check in $7K worth of gear. I also want it to be small, yet capable of storing XH-A1, couple of tapes, power adapter, Canon EOS 20D with a regular L zoom lens attached, and a flash.

Kata seems to be making great cases, but their BP-205 is too small; their BP-502 looks great, but maybe too large to be able to get it as a carry-on on most flights (they allow up to 43", BP-502 is 52").
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Major Player

saw this recently ... didn't buy one but it looked interesting... I think the retail is somewhere around $140 though (at least on one site I found)

http://www.cinebags.com/backpack.html
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep, I've considered cinebags.
Then I saw there internal dimentions: 15" x 7.5" x 11.5"
Looks like A1 with lens hood and mike holder measures 8" x 8" (LxH).
That's what kept me from getting one. As I said, I loved Kata, but 205 seemed a bit to small, and 502 seemed a bit too large for on-board carry-on (and also, it's $299, which is not really a problem for a perfect fit).
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #6
New Boot

I recently picked up a Crumpler "Sinking Barrage" bag off ebay for $151.00 AUD.

It has a padded laptop compartment and some padded dividers from a camera and lenses. I've got an XL1S and this particular bag would be a smidge too small (or at least very tight), but there are bigger bags on the market.

They retail for mid $200's AUD but are extremely well made and very very comfortable. I highly recommend getting one.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The reason why I picked the Samsonite bag: It has no shouting text on it, telling people that there is a camera inside.

When you are on an airfield thos bags can be picked out of the crowd easy.
Ofcourse thieves know better, but why make it easy for them?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #8
Tourist

Inexpensive Backpack for XH-A1

About two weeks ago I bought a Lowe mini-trekker for a XH-A1 (max. inside dimension 14.5in) - all padded. Price was 89.95 through an Amazon affiliate - but this morning notice the price is now 109.95 - still not bad. Link is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...934442-3011267
Pack arrived - a perfect specimen of a padded pack, and has good padding.
Caveat: XH-A1 still not here, but from others I hear it fits. - Depending on assignment, I would reconfigure for my Nikon D2X instead.
Tom Moffatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim Yankovskiy View Post
Yep, I've considered cinebags.
Then I saw there internal dimentions: 15" x 7.5" x 11.5"
Looks like A1 with lens hood and mike holder measures 8" x 8" (LxH).
That's what kept me from getting one. As I said, I loved Kata, but 205 seemed a bit to small, and 502 seemed a bit too large for on-board carry-on (and also, it's $299, which is not really a problem for a perfect fit).
fwiw, my a1 is 6" width (right side handle to left side of lens hood), by 7 1/4 hieght (bottom without quick release to top of mike holder) x 13 3/4 length (stock eyecup to front of lens hood, sony eyecup adds addt'l length).
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moffatt View Post
About two weeks ago I bought a Lowe mini-trekker for a XH-A1 (max. inside dimension 14.5in) - all padded. Price was 89.95 through an Amazon affiliate - but this morning notice the price is now 109.95 - still not bad. Link is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...934442-3011267
Pack arrived - a perfect specimen of a padded pack, and has good padding.
Caveat: XH-A1 still not here, but from others I hear it fits. - Depending on assignment, I would reconfigure for my Nikon D2X instead.

Looks like my Samsonite backpack. Very nice too.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM   #11
Major Player

Amazon showed me this on the lowepro page...

What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...307447-8699813
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Best way to buy one is take your camera with you to a store and see if it fits in the backpack. And also check if it fits on your back. Mine has also a small protection belt in the front which keeps both the shoulder pads in the right place. No way can it slip of my back when the two are connected with the little belt.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Major Player

any suggestions on ones for hiking with a side strap/loop/similar for the tripod? Or does anyone have a tripod strap on the bottom? I would imagine the tripod would be hitting either your rear or legs alot...seems like an uncomfortable place for it (the bottom). I am also looking for a backpack for hiking and taking an A1, firestore, a few batteries, maybe a rain jacket (will be in the mountains in Taiwan), and hopefully be a waterproof backpack. I don`t know where to look for photo backpacks in my area either...any suggestions? Like are there national photo/video stores?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Brent,

Although this isn't the most cost effective solution, I think you may find it worth while to take a look at the Think Tank Photo solution (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtInl.php). I have the larger Airport Security roller and it is fantastic. The inners are very customizable and the ability to lock it to stationary objects gives you a lot of peace of mind. They are also very well built and the wheels roll well on all surfaces.

Michael
Michael Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #15
Major Player

bad link because of the ) at the end of the url

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtInl.php < corrected

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders