Closed aperture and image quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Closed aperture and image quality

Recently I forgot to switch to ND 32 while filming in bright sunlight (I was using ND 6 instead) which gave me an aperture between 6 to 8:
Though I am quite familiar with the laws of optics I did not expect the image getting so poor (soft, that is) compared to open aperture shots. Could this considerable loss of sharpness, to some extent, also be caused by the A1's ND filters? What are this filters made of, by the way?

Last edited by Michael Mann; May 5th, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Disjecta

No, I don't think the ND filter caused any of the softness, it was simply the iris being closed near to the max.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Major Player

With small apertures the diffraction starts to play a role, more so with HD resolutions. Try to avoid stops smaller than f5.6.

With a 1/3 inch sensor 1440 pixels wide the sensor resolution is around 100 lines/mm (200 pix/mm). To get good results the lens must be extremely sharp. That conversly means that diffraction kicks in earlier than in large format video or photography.

Of course using filters never makes the picture sharper either, but ND is the lesser evil.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders