DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Looking for image stab. button (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/93672-looking-image-stab-button.html)

Douglas Villalba May 9th, 2007 08:39 PM

Looking for image stab. button

Can you assign a button for the image stabalizer?
I can't find it anywhere.

Jim Miller May 9th, 2007 08:41 PM

The ability to assign image stabilization to a button on the A1 is something we would all like to see but, alas, it can only be accessed from the menu.

guess we can't have everything.

Douglas Villalba May 9th, 2007 08:43 PM

So many controls and none for the Stab.

Jim Miller May 9th, 2007 08:48 PM

It is a bit odd since you can assign darn near everything else.

Douglas Villalba May 9th, 2007 09:21 PM

On the Sony FX1 I have an assign button and my Pana HVX 200 comes with an OIS button.
I have looked for work around it, but no luck.

Bill Busby May 9th, 2007 10:12 PM

That was the #1 request for a firmware update.

Bill

Douglas Villalba May 10th, 2007 07:15 AM

I wonder what Canon was thinking.

Is it that they think that you can leave it on all the time even on a tripod? or

Leave off all the time, it is of not mush use anyway?

What do you think?

David W. Jones May 10th, 2007 04:59 PM

Granted, an OIS button would have been nice.
But the 8 seconds it takes me to turn it on/off in the menu and return to shooting is not that big a deal to me.

Jan Luethje May 11th, 2007 01:07 AM

The problem is not that it takes 8 sconds or something to switch it off. At least to me, it is more likely to forget that option completely when I'am very busy. For any reason much more likely than it was with my old GL1, that has got the OIS button outside.

Actually you can get away with it, when the cam is mounted on a tripod - as long as you stay with a short focal length. The other way round (handheld cam and OIS is switched off) seems to be more critical.

Bill Busby May 11th, 2007 04:02 AM

I agree Jan, but aside from the OIS icon not being on screen... one look what one is shooting while handheld will certainly give it away that it's off :)

Bill

Don Jones May 11th, 2007 05:32 AM

Being a pilot, I have become use to check lists. Before each flight the check list is used to prepare the aircraft for flight and then again before each landing. It seems to me that the Canon XH A1 is complicated enough to warrant it's own check list before shooting. We as a group, could develop one right here on forum. Thoughts/ideas?

Don

Douglas Villalba May 11th, 2007 09:52 AM

I have mine setup the way I want it. The screen is full of icons to remind me of the settings. Even the customs buttons are shown on the screen, but on a run and gun shoot there is no time to open the menu.

Bill Pryor May 11th, 2007 02:00 PM

That's why it's been number one on the hit list. Maybe someday there'll be a downloadable upgrade.

Douglas Villalba May 11th, 2007 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Until then I'll use my HVX 200 on the GlideCam and the rest of the cameras on tripods or cranes.

Here is still of a crane shot

David W. Jones May 11th, 2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba (Post 677314)
but on a run and gun shoot there is no time to open the menu.

Oh C'mon Doug, Don't you know your going to doing a run and gun shoot at least 8 seconds before you do it?