DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 in an underwater housing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/93782-xh-a1-underwater-housing.html)

Phil Kay May 11th, 2007 03:53 AM

XH-A1 in an underwater housing

I shot this footage with my A1 in an underwater housing(Epic pro)

The youtube compression doesn't really do the quality any justice I feel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaAC48myZM4

Trish Kerr May 11th, 2007 07:40 AM

I'd love to see this footage at it's less compressed state - do you have a link for that? or a downloadable?

some great closeups in the water

did you shoot at higher shutter speeds because of the nature of the sport?

Trish

Phil Kay May 11th, 2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trish Kerr (Post 677235)
I'd love to see this footage at it's less compressed state - do you have a link for that? or a downloadable?

some great closeups in the water

did you shoot at higher shutter speeds because of the nature of the sport?

Trish

Because the camera is in a housing all the footage is shot in full auto. Most of this short film was shot in winter (air temperature sometimes below freezing and water temperature not far above it!) so all I can really think about is staying warm.

I'll try and post a link to a higher quality version soon.....

Steven Dempsey May 11th, 2007 09:13 AM

Yeah, I'd like to see a higher rez version also.

I looked at your photos on flickr and I have to say I'm very impressed. You have a great eye for composition and mood.

Phil Kay May 11th, 2007 10:05 AM

Thank you!

Looking at the youtube footage again actually makes me want to remove it because to be honest it looks like it could have been captured on a cheapo standard miniDV camera....

Jerome Cloninger May 11th, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Kay (Post 677322)
Thank you!

Looking at the youtube footage again actually makes me want to remove it because to be honest it looks like it could have been captured on a cheapo standard miniDV camera....

Yeah, YT sucks and doesn't do good footage any justice. I watched about 20 seconds this morning and thought, I want to see better quality because this has nothing good to look at. I'm sure to see a higher rez clip would be more interesting to see... atleast for me. I'm not knocking you, but you have a $3500 camera and using a free clipsharing service, buy a cheap hosting plan and host good/great quality clips. I pay something like $5/mo for my host and I have YET come close to reaching bandwidth from posting on 3 forums AND regular website hits.

Phil Kay May 12th, 2007 08:33 AM

Yes Jerome I hear what you are saying! Someone needs to tell me more about how I can get high res clips over the net,is setting up my own site the best option? I really have NO idea where to start so any tips are useful.

Thanks.

Jerome Cloninger May 12th, 2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Kay (Post 677866)
Yes Jerome I hear what you are saying! Someone needs to tell me more about how I can get high res clips over the net,is setting up my own site the best option? I really have NO idea where to start so any tips are useful.

Thanks.

You can use any host you want, but I use www.siteground.com as my host. It's basically $5.95 a month and you get tons of features. This is my 3rd host so far and I am really happy with them.

Anyways,
1. Get setup on a host. (They'll even set up a domain for you in the process like www.PhilKay.com or whatever you want that is available.)
2. Use their sitebuilder software to create a site if you don't have any knowledge of HTML... but you don't have to have a site up and running to host clips!
3. Generate either a Windows Media Video clip (WMV) or a QuickTime clip (MOV) and upload to the server.
4. You can use FTP software like www.smartftp.com or just use the control panel for your new host and go to file manager and upload a clip. Just create a directory called clips, videos, or whatever and upload there.
5. Then you can just post a link to that clip here or where ever like, www.philkay.com/WMV/whateveritiscalled.wmv and we can just view it quickly and in its glory!

Depending on your NLE software, you should be able to make a great high quality web clip from it....

Oh, it normally takes a day or two for a new domain name to propogate the internet, but in the meantime, they will give you a temporary address to access the "site"....

Get setup on a host and we can help you from there. If you use siteground, I can walk you through it easy.

John Hotze May 12th, 2007 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Jerome Cloninger;677878]You can use any host you want, but I use www.siteground.com as my host. It's basically $5.95 a month and you get tons of features. This is my 3rd host so far and I am really happy with them.

Jerome is giving you excellent advice in my opinion. I think it's a better solution than the freebie uploading sites with a bunch of ads in you face for anyone wanting to share some video or photos on the net. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for people that use those freebies. Most people probably aren't aware of how inexpensive and easy it is to set up your own domain and place to share things over the Internet can be. Don't go the MySpace route for this either. That's a totally different animal.

Who knows, you might even get ambitious and make it into a fun website for family and friends. You can keep the website private and still provide a way to publicly share your video files or whatever. If you need more hand holding to get it done, I'm sure there are plenty of folks here willing to help you out. I use 1and1.com for my host and have really been happy with them. I'm sure there are more good ones out there. You actually could be up and running with your share in a matter of hours after you sign up, pick & register your domain. We're talking 100 gig + of online storage you can have for $3.95 & up per month With mine, you actually get to register 3 free domains which means you could have one for video sharing, one for your family & friends and one for something else. Your name is a fine place to start for one domain but you might think about it for awhile as to what your domain name will be. Put yourself in a potential visitors shoes as they see and type in the name. If you don't know FTP from the place you buy your flowers, that's the first thing you need to invest some time in. Pick a free FTP client and download it before you do anything.

Phil Kay May 12th, 2007 11:30 AM

Thanks for that guys! I am now www.filmmanx.com